Six

"She what?" Nathan asks with surprise, falling back into his seat. Leon is in his office along with Millis who is practically his assistant with her ways of getting around the pack and their secrets. She's like a fly on the wall, always ready to listen and take down some notes. She loves to figure out everyone's puzzles and trade pieces with Leon. It's like a game to the two of them and Nathan happened to be their biggest challenge. The pair together, he learned, is not a good mix for several people.

"She accepted the challenge." Millis repeats. Leon smirks next to her in one of the chairs, shrugging at Nathan's raised eyebrow. He turns back to Millis, ready to give out an order when Leon speaks first.

"I have my money on Audrey." Nathan glances at his beta in surprise. Leon sits up straighter, giving Nathan a challenging expression. "She's already surprised us once late last night. I'm sure you remember."

Nathan growls but Leon just chuckles, relaxing his seat. Millis gives him an expression, trying to figure out what secret Leon knows that she doesn't and Nathan growled again. He didn't want that to happen. He didn't need his whole pack knowing that his mate somehow was able to knee him and walk away unharmed.

"Alright. Since she accepted, don't let her forget it. Millis!" The redhead jumps, snapping her attention back to Nathan with a bow of her head before exiting the office. Leon leans across the desk towards Nathan with amusement all over his face.

"How's your leg?" He only laughed at Nathan's snarl. "You've got to admit, Nate, she did have more power than both of us thought she was capable of. She may just been Millis and Frankie - whichever one is going against her."

"I doubt it. She got lucky last night but that doesn't mean Millis and Frankie are going to give her the chance." Nathan tosses some papers aside and pulls forward his patrol sheets, handing them to Leon. "Here are next month's patrols. Distribute them."

"What will you do if she does get hurt?" Leon gathers the sheets, glancing over them slowly. "She's still yours until you officially reject her. It's not going to be easy for you to just sit still while someone beats her up."

"I'll be fine." Nathan answers, his eyes glancing over the report for last month's taxes. He had to distribute the pack's payback soon. In his mind, he has no doubt about the field challenge. She needs a challenge anyway. His wolf kept replaying last night's events, remembering how she let another male touch her and his thigh throbs irritably from her knee. It isn't a pain throb either. He knows better than that. His body can still remember her touch, her arms wrapping around him. He inwardly growls. "She needs to learn."

"If you say so." Leon watches Nathan wearily before changing the subject. "Luke and his beta will be here tomorrow for the diplomatic talks about merging our packs. They'll arrive sometime between noon and three."

"Alright. Is it just Luke and his beta?" Leon shrugs.

"He reports that but you never know with Luke. He likes to keep people on his toes." Nathan leans back, trying to think about where they could stay. He didn't want them too far away lest they try to plan something in secret but he didn't want them too closer either. He'd rather keep his own secrets to himself. And if Audrey's going to be around, he rather not Luke find out about his little mate. That's something he'll never live down.

"I'll be at the field then. Just make sure to greet them properly and find some rooms on the second floor for them to stay in. Separate them if you need to." Leon nods, standing up to hand out the patrol sheets but Nathan stops him before he leaves. "Also, I need Henry to give me his report on the south already. I have wolves that need relocating."