Fifty-Two

Simon has always loved a good challenge. His enemies know it. His allies know it. And his mate knows it. But with that known, he isn't prepared for this kind of challenge.

Before, his challenges consisted one on ones or what would equal to a one on one with him. He could go against packs by himself simply because their strength as a whole would match his level. Challenges by alphas or other loners would be met without a hitch. But at this moment, Simon can actually see that he will have to give it all. There's no time for playing around or testing the waters. It's life or death and the order just came in for his head on a platter. He can't afford to take this as easy as any other challenge.

With his senses, he can pick up the force of at least three alpha rogues along with the army of at least six hundred wolves. They surrounded the abandoned factory within seconds and he can feel them closing in. He hasn't even left the building yet.

Before, his challenges held little risk. Not only were his opponents varied by strengths and most of the time, lesser than him but the risks included involved only himself. He only had to risk his life. True, he's in a blood bond with Audrey and dying would cause her some pain, a few days of weakness and then some grief but at the end of the day, she was surrounded with others willing to help her and at the end of the day, he had nothing. He didn't always go into a challenge knowing he was going to win. There were times when the odds were against him but they never bothered him. It was his life and he got to risk it as he liked.

Now, it's different. Now, he has his Iota to protect along with two other lesser wolves; all hidden in the basement just behind the hidden door that if anyone looked hard enough at could find. Now, he's got the future of Wolf Country resting on him and now, he's got a mate to get back to.

Millis's face appears at the front of his mind and his heart stops when he imagines how she pissed off she would be if he didn't make it out of this. He's got to be there for her. Her self loathing and her pain is still prominent and he knows the only way she'll completely come out of it if he's there to be her support, her rock. If he dies now, it'll kill her slowly. The pain will consume her from both her past and her possible present (should he die). The mate bond will make it worse and knowing that she will have access to both his pain and his last thoughts makes him feel a thick poison run through him.

Fear. That's what this is. He's not fearful for his life. He's fearful for the events after his life. He's fearful for his mate's breaking heart, for the loss of the Iota and the true grief all of Wolf Country will feel once they realize that the Iota has truly died.

But he doesn't have time.

Swallowing the fear down like a lump of coal, he starts to think. He's already alerted Audrey and no doubt, she's alerted Nathan who is probably already gathering all of his sources to get here. The problem is the storm and the amount of time.

In the distance, there's a loud rumbling and the rain is pouring like a million drums. He's thankful for it considering it'll help erase any trace of Audrey's scent on him, keeping her safe. At the same time, it makes it difficult to track any enemies closing in and he has no idea which side might tumble through first.

Lightening flashes and the room brightens considerably for a mere second. There's mold covering the corners and trash is littered around the room. The ground is dirty with a few puddles from leaky pipes that hang on the ceiling. Some of the windows are cracked or broken and only two of the three exits are locked with a wood bar which won't do much to hold back raging wolves. There isn't anything useful. No explosives or weapons. No mass destructive techniques can be found here. He's got himself, his alpha force (which is considerably stronger thanks to his connection to the Iota) and a metal door between his enemies and those under his protection.