Twenty-Four

Simon always loves a good challenge. He never failed to accept one, any time or anywhere. He didn't discriminate between the weak or the strong, female or male, human or werewolf. If he's challenged, he'll accept it without a doubt. It's like it's part of his honor. He sees someone challenging him as bravery and should be rewarded with acceptance and then a complete beat down. Fighting didn't hurt him. He didn't get scared or get fearful. He always knew that if he's going to die, he's going to die fighting.

There's only a few times he actually let someone else win. Most of the time, it's because of a goal he's trying to reach and due to recent events, that's happening more frequently than not. For instance, when he set foot on the Greyson pack territory after coming off of the Lopez pack territory and was met with two patrolling wolves who instantly tackled him, he didn't bother to put up a fight. He knew that the key to seeing their alpha was them and beating them senseless will not help him achieve his goal. And when those two patrolling wolves demanded him to shift and kept a stern grip on his arms as he allowed them to drag him through the woods, he knew he'd gain his pride back later and surprise the shit out of them. Faking weakness isn't a big deal when there's a bigger stake at hand.

And there's only one time he truly lost a fight.

He let these big two oafs drag him all the way to their prison where they trapped him in a cell and spat on him. He ignored their other prisoners. All pack members of Lopez, they didn't matter to him. He's focused on the alpha's arrival and he'll wait. For a few days.

Two days later and he's finally got an audience. He's pulled into a room, surrounded by their strongest and the alpha sits in a corner with his little luna next to him, looking as calm as ever as if trips to the neighborhood prison didn't give her nightmares. And Simon let them interrogate him and he let them know the truth.

"Do you honestly expect me to believe that bullshit?"

Simon stays still, stays calm. His hands are resting in his pockets and he keeps his expression locked away, ensuring that all around him see only his calm facade and none of the tension in his shoulders. His blue eyes glance around him, taking in every little movement the pack makes. He can feel his captors behind him, each tense and ready to tackle him should he make a move. He smirks. He always loved a good challenge.

With a casual shrug, he turns back to the alpha. Skinnier than most, this alpha's cautious and has the attitude of an arrogant ass. He hasn't moved to get up from his seat but instead, leans back with his feet resting on a chair in front him. He practically hides in the shadows but Simon's vision is greater than that. He is after all connected to royalty for a reason.

For a brief moment, he lets himself think back on her. Her blue eyes and her sweet smile makes him relax too much and he feels his guard drop down. Quickly putting it back up, he stares hard at the alpha, unafraid of any attack. It's now or never and he needs to know if they have her back or not.

"Why else do you think Alpha Lopez is acting so suspiciously? He's taking smaller packs right and left, building up his army, preparing for the biggest battle of his lifetime. And what's more? Rogues."

Simon inwardly chuckles as murmurs go around the room. Alpha Lopez and Alpha Greyson have never been allies. Much like the Sullivans and the Moores, they have been in constant warfare. Alpha Lopez wants to take over their land and their pack for his own and stake his claim as king. Alpha Greyson, thanks to his little mate, simply wants peace again. If it weren't for his Luna's influence, Simon isn't sure if Alpha Greyson would even consider peace. Either way, it works out well for him. Having him willingly do anything for peace puts him in a position of giving up final authority to the monarchy and that makes him an ally. If it means he gets to take one the Lopez pack too, well, it's a done deal. And rogues? Well, no one likes their stinky asses anyway.

"So you are suggesting that I go along with this...long lost monarch and give him all of my armies and my abilities, risking my pack completely just so I can get rid of Lopez?"

Simon doesn't flinch at the patronizing tone. He only chuckles at the way Alpha Greyson spat out Lopez's name like it was poison. He can see that despite the alpha's attitude, the idea was appealing to him.

"Only the true monarch can install peace and unless I'm mistaken, that's what you want. Taking on Lopez and possibly being the one to take him out completely is just a bonus. The true prize is having peace long enough to ensure that your heirs won't have to grow up like the rest of us."

Simon's words hit home for all of them. Grumblings and agreeing murmurs pass around the room. Even the Luna, who sits just off to the side of her alpha, grips her mate's arm and looks at him with a conveying message. Simon watches as the two privately chat, their eyes turning hazy and then the alpha turns to face him.

"Who's the monarch?"

Simon sighs. "I can't say."

"Why not?"

"It puts them in jeopardy. Unless I trust you, their identity will remain hidden." He explains with a finality to his voice. There is no arguing on this. "If you agree to help the monarch, then you'll come when they call for you."

"They?" Alpha Greyson sits up, placing his feet on the floor. "Mates?"

"Last I heard," Simon cuts himself short, letting the ideas flow freely for themselves. Last he heard, Audrey found her mate but they were at constant opposites with each other. He has no idea if Audrey has accepted her mate or not and if not, there's the possibility of Roman coming for her too but she doesn't know that. He doubts if Ralph even knows.

"If that's the case, there's a guarantee for an heir..." He hears Alpha Greyson muttering to himself, weighing out the cons and pros. Waiting patiently, Simon looks around the room. Greyson pack isn't that big of a pack. At most, he estimates just under one hundred and twenty, maybe thirty werewolves in total. Most were children and some are elderly. But in the middle, their adults could be considered fit enough to fight. Some he can rank as warriors. For those they can spare, every able person will be helpful to Audrey.

"Alright," Alpha Greyson stands up, brushing off his mate who's tugging on his arm. She growls lowly and he smirks down before kissing her head and walking towards Simon. Simon's aware of his captors backing off from behind him and he sees the tension slowly relax in the room. Alpha Greyson stretches out his hand and smirks at Simon.

"I'll side with the monarchy when the time calls for it."

Smirking, Simon shakes his hand but before he can pull away Alpha Greyson tightens his grip.

"If it turns out that I'm being played, I will kill you."

Simon laughs. "I always love a challenge."