Twenty-Eight

Nathan paces on the other side of the border of Sullivan territory where Melissa's territory meets Alpha Hunter's. Next to him is Gavin who's standing calmly, watching the distance while flickering his gaze to the alpha. Around them, a mix of Sullivan and Moore wolves stretch out to form a defense line for the small army that's about to run into them. Nathan isn't focused on that. His mind is racing with blue eyes and the way they look at Holt with them.

"Scared, Moore?" Gavin snickers, shaking his head. Nathan just growls and ignores him. His entire being is telling him to quickly finish this and then make his way back to Audrey. He can just imagine the kinds of things Holt is attempting to do with her - especially after that kiss and his wolf is on edge. If it weren't for Audrey's concern with Sullivan, he wouldn't have left them alone - and with Ralph of all people. Ralph didn't stay long either. He's here too, standing next to Melissa who is trying to convince him to go back to the pack house. That leaves only one thought in Nathan's mind: Audrey is alone with him.

Pissed off, his pacing becomes quicker. "Damn it! Where the hell are they?"

Gavin snorts. "Why? Are you nervous about meeting them? I never expected that from you."

"Shut it, Beta." Nathan's alpha force comes out and Gavin chuckles.

"You're so whipped."

"I'm - what?" Nathan blinks at him, realizing what he just said.

"Audrey's got you good, hasn't she? I haven't seen you like this since...well, never. Even when we fought, you weren't this ticked off." The beta smirks and that only enrages Nathan. "Do you really like her that much?"

His question stops Nathan from pacing and thoughts race through his head. He did like her. His wolf loved her but for him, liking her was enough. When did this start? When did she manage that to happen? Why didn't he notice? He knows he was protective of her but that was because of his wolf. Or was it?

He looks up. Gavin is watching him with a smug expression on and Nathan shakes off his thoughts, growling. "She's my mate."

"Are you stating fact or claim?"

Nathan doesn't answer. His eyes detect movement from ahead and through the trees, several wolves appear. The Sullivan wolves nearby start to growl but his pack stays calm. They're amused with the challenge but they all know that this won't be a big issue. The only reason they're out here is for Audrey and that's only because Nathan made them out come here for her. Well, most of them willingly did it. Only a few were confused. It amazes him how easily she won over his pack.

A large wolf, an alpha, steps forward and shifts. His nakedness makes a few males protective of their mates and that doesn't leave Gavin out. His eyes blink at his alpha and he gives a warning growl when she smirks back at him. The opposing alpha tugs on some clothes from his leg and swiftly pulls on shorts before running up towards them. His pack stays behind.

Nathan and Melissa meet him in the middle, both on guard and ready to put this to an end. Melissa gives him a look. She wants to do the talking but Nathan scowls at her.

"Sullivan." The alpha greets with a nod. He frowns at Nathan. "And?"

"Moore." Nathan replies, ignoring the hand that's being held out towards him.

"And you are?" Melissa interferes before Nathan can say anything. He rolls his eyes and stands still, ignoring his alpha pride to let the female take over. His wolf scoffs at his actions but he shrugs him off, reminding him that she is considered family by Audrey.

"Tate." The alpha introduces. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience and for the misunderstanding. I've come in search of two of my own, you see. They're supposed to be the next monarchs."