Forty-Three

Are you fucking kidding me?

Audrey winces as her mate's angry voice echoes through her head. In front of her, the two wolves that took her stare with concern as they watch her look pained. Her mate is yelling a string of profanities through her head, threatening all sorts of people and scolding her. Even from this distance, she can hear his wolf add in his two cents, following his human partner in showing anger, possession and frustration with her.

I'm sick of it! I'm sick of all of this! The moment you get back, I'm impregnating you and you are never leaving my side!

Audrey blushes. She knows that for an alpha, to impregnate their mate means a swelling pride followed by unstoppable instincts of protection and possessiveness. It means their mate will literally never leave their side and she knows that he's saying it for that reason alone.

Nathan, please!

No, Audrey! This is fucking ridiculous. Who the fuck do they think they are? Taking you from me and expecting me to play along with their plan? Fenrir, I'll kill them!

Audrey lets out an audible sigh, resting her head on her hand and tapping the desk in front of her with her nails. Nathan is still cussing up a storm and she knows it's best for him to get it all out before she continues.

"He's not taking it well, I'm guessing?"

August Helsing, the wolf that saved her life, is biting his lip nervously. He, along with his cousin, Alexander came up with this idea when they learned what was really happening to their pack. Without them, she might have either been killed while struggling or been tortured by R himself and Nathan would drive Wolf Country to the ground.

"He's currently planning your deaths in great detail." She explains and both of the Helsing nobles blink before flinching.

"It's not like we want to do this!" August argues, leaning over the table at her. While she hasn't been with them for more than an hour consciously, she's learned that he's the more childish one of the two. His wolf is the same, childishly arguing why her mate shouldn't be killing them off.

"Shut up, August." Alexander sighs, leaning back against his chair across from her. "None of us want to do this but we've got to. Let her argue it out with her mate."

In her mind, she can hear Nathan let out a loud sigh before speaking his next words softly. 

Are you hurt, Audrey?

She smiles, ignoring August as he starts an argument with his cousin.

No, I'm fine. The blood was only a ploy to keep me safe. I'm completely unharmed otherwise.

What are those bastards thinking?

Audrey visibly relaxes, relieved that her mate will finally listen to her.

She woke up only about forty minutes ago and her captives were cautious. They injected her with aconite which blocked her connection to her wolf and to Nathan as well as everyone else. After they managed to get her to calm down enough to listen, they explained themselves.

Audrey remembers being attacked by several alphas and her guards were ferociously defending her. But she also remembers shifting and her body is sore from it. Unfortunately, the alpha over powered her and knocked her unconscious. Her wolf isn't physically strong enough to keep its form and she shifted back making it easier for them to drag her off to R. Luckily, August and Alexander, the few remaining Helsings, realized the truth and saved her. But they knew giving her back would only give R the chance to do it all over again. So they made it look like the kidnapping was a success by leaving a trail with her blood and then took her to this place, an abandoned factory in the middle of nowhere. Meanwhile, they left a mess behind to make it look like she died.