Nineteen

Melissa paces in her office as she has been for the last hour. Rhea sits in one of the cushioned chairs placed in the corner. Her legs are hanging off the arm of the chair and with another low snarl from Melissa, she quickly sits properly.

"Melissa, what has got you so snappy today?" Rhea leans forward, taking a bite of an apple. Melissa shakes her head and ignores the question. She glances out her window where some of her pack are messing around. Teenagers, playing a game of tag. She can see the beta potential, Mitch, tackling down his friends mercilessly, scoring his team another goal. Some girls watching nearby cheer loudly.

Melissa feels Gavin coming up the stairs. His musky scent hits her and she straightens. Opening the door, his eyes quickly finds her and he frowns at her.

"Rhea, give us a moment." He tells the younger wolf who shrugs, oblivious to their tension.

"Sure but as a warning," She pauses, leaning up to him. "She's moody!"

Before Melissa could do anything, the younger version of her runs out the office, slamming the door shut and taking her laughter with her. Melissa lets out a loud sigh of frustration and falls against the window behind her. Gavin lets out a low chuckle, stepping up to her slowly. His hands finds her arms and he pulls her up, wrapping himself around her. She leans into his touch, breathing in his scent and feels herself melting.

"It's alright, baby." He coos in her ear, his warm breath brushing against her skin and making her shiver.

"But Luke says-"

"I know what Luke said." He cuts her off. "I'm telling you it's going to be alright."

"But Audrey-"

"I know. It's going to be alright." He takes her face in his hands and stares into her eyes. She blinks up at him, standing perfectly still as he gives her a hard, firm expression. "Everything will be fine."

Her heart settles and the warmth from his skin against hers makes her wolf purr. But the look in his eyes makes her beast growl with amusement. And she still can't find reassurance in his words.

Gavin's always been confident. Anytime they had to defend themselves, he was always the one who went into the fight, head first. Even when her father was alpha, he didn't really worry about the details and he always had some kind of back up plan. When they found each other, on her sixteenth birthday, it was the first and only time she saw his confidence falter. He was her father's beta and older than her by ten years. She was the one who had more than enough confidence to make it happen. But with everything else, Gavin always had a way out.

This time, she has a hard time believing there really will be a way out.

"Gavin."

"Yes, mate?" She can't help the smile that breaks through then. He smirks and leans forward, kissing across her jaw. 

"We have work we need to do." He mumbles something against her neck and she shivers again. She debates with herself over following the moment or getting things done and Gavin sensed that. He brushes his mark, biting her and she yelps. Pushing herself away from her laughing mate, she shakes it off and stares hard at him. "Gavin Reade!"

"Melissa."

"Stop! Don't you do it! Don't!"

"Okay, did you two seriously need me or did you want me to settle another argument again?" Ralph's voice cuts through just as Gavin catches her and falls into her chair. Laughing, Melissa looks up from her spot and notices the frustrated expression Ralph gave them.

"You need a mate, Ralph." Gavin states. Ralph ignores him and falls into one of the chairs in front of her desk where Luke sat only hours ago. Melissa straightens herself while Gavin keeps his hands on her waist, keeping her in his lap. Ralph waits, glancing out the window behind them.

"Audrey's not happy." He reports, setting his foot on the corner of Melissa's desk. Melissa bites back a growl and with Gavin's fingers running up her back, ignores it. "Luke hasn't told her yet."

"But you did?" Gavin frowns.

"No, she figured it out." Ralph smirks. "My sister's a little more attentive than some of you."

"What do you mean by that?" Melissa sits up straighter and Ralph holds his hands up.

"I only mean that she's planning something on her own too. I don't know what but since she's confirmed this, I can only assume she's going to counter it."

"But she's a major part of Luke's idea. Why would she counter it?"

Gavin runs his fingers over her shoulder blade and down her side, briefly brushing her revealed skin. Ralph lets out a loud sigh and drops his head back. She knows he's been running around crazy, training every Sullivan wolf like he had a personal vendetta with each of them. She doesn't blame him. Ever since war has settled down with the Moore pack, her wolves have slacked off a little. At first, she was hesitant about getting onto them about it but then Gavin and Ralph reminded her that war isn't completely out of sight just yet.

Not until the monarchy returns.

"Audrey's not really the type, isn't she?" Ralph suggests. "Give her a situation and she's got it under control but she obviously doesn't believe in the monarchy anymore. She needs someone to take that part for her."

"Luke's good at it."

"Nathan's great though." Ralph opens his eyes and looks at them. Melissa can't help the growl that escapes her and Gavin feels the same. His tracing of her body stops completely and while she misses it, she's glad it's gone. Now she can't focus more.

"Moore has got-"

"Just hear me out." Ralph interrupts. "He's ambitious. He's brutal when he needs to be. He's territorial and protective. And it seems like Audrey is more than capable of handling him."

"But she doesn't plan on accepting Moore. You know he would take it too far!" Melissa argues. "We've already discussed this. Nathan Moore is not our only option!"

"You're right." Ralph straightens up, leaning forward.

"Are you finally coming forward?" Gavin raises his brow but Ralph shakes his head.

"I'm talking about someone else I know that's around."

Melissa frowns. She only knows of two people who have any chance of asserting the monarchy's innocence and authority. Every one else belongs to a noble family but even they aren't considered worthy by most and the title can always be challenged and war will always be fought. She's sick of war. She wants to settle down. She wants to have pups and to be a mother and enjoy her life with her mate. She's tired of having to constantly check her borders, play diplomatic and deal with the politics of treaties and agreements. She just wants to live and war is taking that chance from her.

"Who?" She glances at Gavin who's sat up next to her, resting against her arm. He gives her a knowing look and squeezes her side reassuringly. He wants the same thing as her and he isn't getting any younger.

"Roman Holt."

"Roman Holt?" She blinks. Holt is the name belonging to one of the noble families but it's one of the nobles who've disappeared. They were the only noble family, asides from the Wellingtons, who supported the royal family during the great war.

Ralph licks his lip nervously. "Before we came here, he and Audrey were promised to each other."