One

Standing quite intimidatingly on the top stair of the back porch is Melissa Sullivan, one of the youngest and rarest alphas in existence. As a female of small size, the power that runs through her veins is unique and was once sought out by many in the werewolf kingdom. Once the monarchy fell, she-wolves like her went into hiding. It wasn't until her father died and his beta gave her full support, that she inherited the alpha position of the Sullivan pack. She's made a well-known name for herself now and it was thanks to those rumors alone that she was left to herself and her family.

She watches as everyone moves around her like wild ants, panicking at the sight of food and hurrying to prepare it for the queen. Only, this isn't just a simple feast like that. Tonight is the most important night of their lives - or at least for now. Everything must go perfect. Everything must be perfect and she is going to be the one to oversee all of it.

Her pack runs back and forth, entering the house and exiting the house like they are unsure of where they should be. Some carries furniture while others carries decorations. Tables are set up by some while others throw cloths over them. A group hangs up lights, testing them along the way. James Alice, the technical genius of the pack, is setting up his stereo system, electrical cords running across the grass to available outlets. Someone offers Melissa a chair and she makes a small comment about the tables after denying it. They rush off to adjust them, placing them throughout the backyard evenly, each with access to a food table. 

Her dirty blonde hair falls over her shoulders and her brown eyes skim over every detail. There is a pressure at the back of her mind from her wolf and she takes a deep breath before she allows herself to go there. She can't help but wonder what it would be like if her father were here to witness this miracle. Releasing a sigh, she crosses her arms over her chest - something that her mate would prefer her not to do in the presence of other males but it's a hard habit to kill.

"The sun is almost down." Rhea, one of her many sisters, stares across the field and into the woods that surrounds the pack house protectively. "It'll be a clear night too."

"As long as no one sheds some blood, it will." Melissa replies, glancing up at her. "Is everyone ready for this?"

Rhea blinks at her and then releases a large smile. "Definitely. Alpha John can finally rest in his grave too."

"Yeah, Dad is probably rolling around with the need to brag about me right now." Melissa rolls her eyes. Her father always doted on her, even to the point where she wanted to dye his hair green. "Is the food almost ready?"

"Just about," Gavin Reade, her beta and elder by ten years, says after walking out the back door. He wraps his arms around her waist and kisses her cheek sweetly. She can faintly smell chocolate and knew he had gone behind Grandmother Rose's back to sneak some food for himself. "Let me tell you, GrandMama Rose is cooking up some of her best stuff tonight!"

"You can't eat everything before the party has even started, Gavin." Rhea scolds, staring at the beta with disbelief all over her face. Gavin shrugs her off, squeezing Melissa closer to him. Rhea storms off to the kitchen with a loud groan and he laughs. Melissa feels her muscles relaxing at the sound of it and leans back against him. Instantly, he snuggles closer, rubbing his nose against her neck.

"You know Grandmother Rose is going to kick your ass for that." She mutters. He leaves a chaste kiss on her shoulder and glances at her with a frown. She can feel his thoughts penetrating her mind and opens up back to him.

"Your Dad would be proud of you, sweetie." She smiles at him but shakes her head.

"I'm not concerned with that. It's Audrey. We haven't heard from her in over a year." Gavin sighs and holds her closer. She watches as his eyes glances over the large field for someone as he attempts to comfort her.

"Audrey's a strong girl and smart too. She'll have heard by now and will contact us soon wherever she is. You know how hard it will be for her. What she went through isn't something she can just brush away in a year." Melissa sighs, resting her head against his neck and breathing in his scent.

If there is anyone she needed here tonight, other than her father, it was Audrey Hastings. One of the few omegas the Sullivan pack had, Audrey has a way of getting along with everyone and is especially considered a bonded sister to Melissa. Despite their age difference of five years, Audrey could always read right through Melissa like a ghost can slip through walls. She was almost as good as Gavin when she left but then again, it was an unfair comparison. Gavin, as her mate, could see to her very core with keys in hand. Audrey had to pick each lock of each layer to get as far as she did but she never overstepped her boundaries and always offered support. Tonight, Melissa could really use it. She only wished she could have given Audrey more support but she doesn't know what else she can do.

Two years ago, during one of the tensest times of the war, Audrey had been taken by the Moores as a prisoner and was tortured for information. She survived long enough to escape when Melissa led a group into their camp to attack but she was hurt badly and was somehow injured during her escape. She never was the same after that and always felt that the death of Melissa's father was her fault. She left then in an attempt to train herself with an allied pack a couple of hours away. For a while, she kept in contact regularly but slowly, she stopped calling altogether. For the last year, no one knows what she has been doing.

"Ralph!" Gavin calls out, his eyes finally finding the one he was searching for. Ralph stumbles towards them, carrying a table on his shoulder and some chairs in his hand. His brown hair is matted to his forehead with sweat and he squints his eyes as he looks up at them. "Have you heard from your sister yet?"

"I sent her a message a couple of days ago. Haven't gotten anything back." He shrugs, glancing at Melissa quickly before returning to Gavin. "She's alive somewhere though."

"See?" Gavin looks down at Melissa with a grin. "She'll be fine."

"Let's just get this treaty signed." Melissa sighs, straightening up. "I don't want any of the younger wolves to start any problems before peace actually arrives. Make sure they know not to disrespect any Moore. We've all lost someone to someone else so there's no use in taking revenge." Gavin kisses her temple.

"Relax, baby. I have everything under control." He winks at her and then disappears to help others finish setting up. Melissa watches him for a moment, enjoying the sight of his muscles flexing with every movement. 

She can't help but feel like something is going to go terribly wrong tonight.