Fifty-One

Roman pants as he returns to the Moore pack house. The wind has picked up in the last five minutes and he struggles to push forward to the house. There's not a doubt in his mind that a tornado is most likely happening in the near future and he can't help but wonder if Audrey is really alright. He remembers when they were younger and a big storm came. Audrey was bundled up between him and Ralph, clutching for dear life. Her knuckles had turned white and her eyes were sewn shut. It didn't matter what he or Ralph said, she wouldn't stop crying and panicking until the storm had passed. But even then she refused to sleep. He has no idea if she's gotten over it or not but from the looks of things, it's going to be a long and hard night.

He pushes forward the Moore pack door and with the help of two other wolves, he closes it back up. The sound of the screeching wind and the pouring rain pounding the ground disappears with it and he relaxes. Half naked, he's covered in mud and leaves and he's sure a twig is sticking out of his hair somewhere. He's also soaked. His own wolf heat is struggling to keep him warm but he refuses to shake in front of everyone else. Making a mess in the foyer is driving Jenna Moore, the old Luna, crazy and she's standing in front of him, scolding him. He's too focused on his mission to care and tunes her out. Instead, ignoring the intimidated glances he gets from the Moore wolves around him, he's standing and panting, waiting for Ralph to meet him. In the living room to the left, he finds Moore kids who sit silently while staring at him with awe and curiosity. He briefly looks over them but only a few cower back. He's never seen kids act that way towards someone who looks like him: like he's been brought back from hell. He guesses that's just the Moore upbringing. To stare at the disturbed in awe.

In the distance, he can hear a wolf howling an alert and some of the pack mothers nearby straighten. Glancing at each other they stand up slowly and begin gathering the kids towards the center of the house. A few of the kids follow reluctantly, turning around to look back at him with a bizarre interest.

"Oh, good. You're back." Ralph greets him with a smirk as he walks down the stairs. He's holding up a stack of maps and his eyes run over it briefly as he comes down. Jenna lets out a groan of frustration and stalks off, grumbling her displeasure the entire time. "I've got a good spot for an attack but-"

"Ralph," Roman interrupts him. "R's got the Knox clan."

Ralph looks up with a frown. "What difference does that make?"

Roman shrugs. "Five hundred? Give or take. They've gathered with some rogue alphas on the northern borders. They've completely blocked us in from that side."

Ralph growls but his smirk is back, only a tad bit darker. "Good. Millis should handle it."

"Millis?" Roman frowns. "Ralph, it's five hundred Knox wolves and at least fifty alpha rogues. Each alpha's got their own little army."

Ralph shrugs. "That's good too. Little armies can fight among little armies. And Millis is a secret book keeper. She's bound to know a few tricks to get a few inner battles going on."

"I keep hearing this word you're saying and I don't know if I'm hearing things or if I'm just tired or if I'm really hearing you say it." Roman replies blankly. "What did you do to Millis to give you such confidence in her?"

"What did I do? I told you what I was going to do. She's the queen of the guards." He smirks. "And you're going to be her future bitch."

Roman growls. "Ralph, we're not sending out Millis to handle a broken army of five hundred and fifty wolves. That's suicide on her part and Simon will kill you."

"He'll kill us, Roman. Us." He smirks. "But he'll be on his knees once he realizes how much stronger she is and he'll be thanking us. Besides, Millis is her own woman. She's got it."