Sixty-Three

Simon wakes up in a cold sweat, cursing loudly. His sudden movement startles Millis awake and she lets out a growl as she gets into a defensive position. Glancing around, she sees her mate leaning on his knees with his forehead digging into the palms of his head as he mutters curses and she lets out a loud sigh.

"Damn it, Simon." She mumbles, falling back onto the bed. Exhaustion makes her body feel heavy and she fights the need for sleep by blinking repeatedly. The sunlight pours in through the cracks of the windows and she sees its almost sunset but if it was up to her, she wouldn't be awake until sunrise tomorrow. "You scared the crap out of me."

Her mate doesn't comment. Instead, he initiates comfort by pulling her closer and cuddling into her chest, letting out low growls. His hands squeeze her hips until she winces. Her wound is healed but the area is sensitive.

"Ow! Simon!" She hits him, scolding harshly. He sits up, leaning over her and his hard stare makes her freeze in her movements. Fear clutches her heart for a moment and it's all around him and those dangerously light eyes of his. "What? What is it?"

"Quit your job."

She frowns, ignoring the blue hue of his eyes for a minute to focus on what he said. "What?"

"Quit your job, Millis." He orders her, his alpha force falling over her. The great thing about Simon not being part of her pack is that she doesn't have to listen to him right away, only respect him. She can fight his orders as much as she wants though it'd be a hard battle but the ability to fight is there. And the bad part of the situation is that being his mate means she can't help it. It's part of the bond to want to please a mate and when they're higher ranking, it's hard to go against their orders, regardless of pack connection. With Simon as a natural alpha, Millis can be stubborn but in the end, he will conquer over her. But that doesn't mean she doesn't fight back.

"No, I'm not quitting my job. Why would you say something like that?"

"Millis, just quit the damn job! Okay? It's too dangerous." He pulls away, sitting up angrily and climbing out of her bed. She sits up, ignoring the cool air that makes her shiver and watches him with confusion and frustration. He paces in her room, running his hand through his hair and his mind is blocked from her, refusing her access.

"Simon, what the heck is going on? Why are you saying this now?" She asks, attempting to stay as calm as possible. It's hard with her personality.

Simon doesn't say anything for a while. He just continues to pace, releasing pent up energy. Millis watches in silence, admiring his muscles though she knows it's not the time. She can't help it. His strength is evident in every movement, his muscles contort and flex seductively. She even admires the chest hair he has leading down to the V of his waist, unfortunately covered by boxers. And with a thin sheen of sweat coating his body, he looks more tempting than ever. She wants to run her hands over him and taste his skin but more importantly, she wants to be in control again. He hardly ever lets her take control.

Recognizing his growl, she realizes she's been staring while he stands in front of her. His eyes are dark and there's an uncharacteristic scowl on his face letting her know that he's scolding her for her timing. She grins sheepishly and sits up, crawling to the edge of bed in front of him. Pulling at the band of his boxers until he's close enough, she looks up at him.

"What's going on?"

He lets out a loud sigh, refusing to look at her and staring hard at the wall above her bed. "How's your wound?"

She frowns at him. "Healed, just sensitive. You know this."

He doesn't say anything and she starts to panic.