Thirty-Seven

The dish falls into the soapy water with a big splash, making a mess all over the place but it does little to capture Karmen's attention. Her mind is too focused trying to organize her thoughts and ignore the throbbing pain in her chest that leaves an empty gap that is slowly growing bigger and bigger. At the same time, she's trying to reel down her anger at her beta but his stupid brown eyes from that moment keeps showing up at the front of her mind and it only stirs up everything again. Plus, she really needs to go apologize to the Kappa and Iota for her disrespect. She just couldn't stand to be next to the beta for much longer.

"Karmen?"

She finds her sister, Cadance, standing behind her in the big kitchen with a worried expression. Her eyes drift around, finding the food preparation room completely organized and immaculate, minus the soap suds that are sinking over the counters near the sink. Karmen takes a deep sigh, falling back against the sink counter. She tries to gain her composure and hide her turmoil.

"I'm fine. I'm just annoyed. That's all."

Cadance laughs. "No kidding? The last time this place looked this good was when I accidentally broke your Mozart CD. Who pissed you off?"

"Just...nothing. Forget it. Where's Darren?" Karmen distracts her younger sibling who visibly relaxes with a smile on her face. Karmen relaxes too, seeing that she's distracted her from asking all the wrong questions.

"Currently, he's following Luna around. She's in the living room with Nathan now and when I walked by, Leon was paying extra attention to him. I think Darren won over the beta pretty well."

Karmen turns around, holding back the growl that comes up. Of course beta Leon is paying attention to Darren. He's only trying to stir up trouble with her. Going after her youngest sibling will be the key to doing so too. Darren hardly goes far from her although she's not sure how true that is anymore now that the Luna's been here. Still, if Leon wants to catch her off guard and piss her off, hanging around Darren will give him that chance.

"How did the meeting with the alphas go? Were you able to map out everything?" Cadance jumps onto the counter next to her, picking at at banana. Karmen inwardly flinches. Everything did go well except for one certain alpha but only Leon and now Luna Audrey know that. Hiding the truth, she gestures to her head.

"All memorized. I'll be in the library later to map it out properly for Kappa and Iota. So make sure Darren goes to bed on time for me, please."

"Sure."

A knock comes from the bar and one of the other wolves calls out for their attention. Cadance lets out a low groan and jumps off, heading towards them. Like Karmen, Cadance is an omega in the Moore pack and therefore, is responsible for cleaning and food prep while Karmen handles just food. Karmen lets out a sigh of relief as she leaves and continues washing the dishes. This time, her mind was distracted enough to let go of some of the anger.

The pain is still unbearable though.

His hazel eyes hide Leon's from her mind and she feels a sob coming on. She was only trying to do her job. She was only trying to gain information on the territories to map out properly for the Kappa and Iota to use as a reference when ruling over Wolf Country. She was doing that and setting up borders fairly between the packs as her job states she does. She never expected to actually meet her mate and he had to be an alpha. Hazel eyes, blonde hair and a sinewy build that towered over her, he was undoubtedly the best looking werewolf she's ever seen and she didn't think anyone could beat her alpha, Nathan. Unfortunately, he wasn't like Nathan or any other alpha.

Not only did he refuse to accept her, he insulted her and the embarrassing situation turned worse when Leon involved himself as more than just her guard. The ache and depression that followed her mate's words were indescribable but the pain and self-loathing that came after being defended by her beta is making the entire situation worse.