Twenty-Three

Luke looks over at Audrey, his wolf sensing her anxiety and anger. She's dressed to kill with short shorts and two form fitting tank tops that showed off all of her curves and her long legs. Her legs are folded in front of her and her foot is bouncing, indicating she's either annoyed or nervous. From what his wolf is telling him, he guesses both.

"Audrey," He starts and she turns to look at him.

"Don't." She stops him, her blue eyes turning zaffre shade. Letting out a sigh, he nods and turns back to the road. He finally got the car keys to the blue Camaro he won from Nathan Moore and his first ride in it is tense with Audrey next to him. Behind him, Leon's black Ford follows closely with Nathan in the front seat and a brunette in the back. Luke keeps glancing the mirror to see Nathan getting more and more pissed off. At the same time, Audrey isn't calming down either and he wonders if there's a connecting reason.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He looks at her. Her voice was soft but that only told him she was angrier than she looks. "Tell you what?"

"Your activities behind my back?" He gulps, already dreading this conversation. "When were you going to tell me?"

"Audrey," He starts, blinking at her from the corner of his eye. "You know as well as I do that we need a leader and not just any Alpha will do. It's you or your brother and we both know he won't do it. He hates socializing."

"That doesn't explain-"

"Simon contacted me." He interrupts and turns to look at her. Her eyes are wide and she stares at him with an open mouth, her words freezing on her tongue. "Someone is moving against us, Audrey. And they want you and your brother dead."

"T-That's impossible."

"Simon told me. Somehow, someone knows who you are. I have to get your supporters together and I have to build defenses around you. Ralph knows too and he's got his own people. But you - you're the one that's important here. Simon is out there looking into everything he can."

"But he didn't tell me." She mutters, turning to face the front seat. "Why didn't he tell me? It's more dangerous than before then. If something happens to him..."

"I've already talked to him about it." He assures her, taking her hand in his. He can hear her heart racing and her leg is twitching again but he knows this time its from nerves. The ride is silent for the new few moments. His wolf paces in his head as he carefully watches Audrey. She's taking it all in slowly and thinking hard and he knows that it won't be good to try to distract or interrupt her.

"What about Nathan?"

He frowns. "What about Nathan?"

"He doesn't know. My being with his pack puts them all in danger. Being near him puts him in danger."

Luke stares hard at her. Her hand is squeezing his and panic is written all over her face. She's muttering to herself, her eyes keep blinking and he knows that panic is not the write word to describe what she's feeling. She's feeling fear.

"You've grown to accept him?" He can't help the teasing tone his voice has.

She blinks up at him, again looking lost and bewildered. A flash of hurt crossed her features but it quickly turned to anger. "No. But Luke, our family was destroyed and the Holt clan was too. I can't let anything happen to the Moore pack simply because I'm there."

"Then do you want to leave?"

"After tonight. I need to talk to Ralph. It'd be best if we both left this area. If we stay too long, both packs will be in harm's way."