Thirty-Eight

Millis jumps to attention as Nathan slams the door shut, letting out a goose bump rising snarl of frustration and anger. It's one of the few times since Audrey has been officially given the Luna title that her alpha has been so pissed off and it's putting everyone on edge. Unlike before, his anger doesn't instantly reach them and so they aren't so affected to feel angry and tense with each other too. Instead, most of it goes to the closest connection and that's Audrey who takes it calmly. She even giggles too.

"Audrey," Millis scolds but her Luna is too busy trying to hide her laughter.

"I'm sorry." She speaks out once Nathan nears them. His scowl is set and he ignores her laughter and her apology. She reaches out to him and Millis sees the affection affects him quickly. Just a simple touch from her fingers and he visibly relaxes while he stands near her, glaring out the windows.

"That's the fourth time." He growls out. "Four times some bastard has crossed my borders. They're testing us."

"Should I go on duty?" Millis offers, smirking at the idea. It's been a while since she's seen some action. This whole war process is slow and their enemies are smart. They aren't going to attack straight away even though they've sent messages.

"No." He tells her. "Frankie and Lance are already out there."

Millis eyes Carter beside him, looking just as frustrated as his alpha. He's the same as Millis, Nathan's head guard and she isn't sure what to think of him. He's fairly new, coming from the Crowe pack but surprisingly, he's able to keep up with her during training. Physically, he's capable. Mentally, he's prepared but personality? It's crap. He's dull and boring and much like their alpha, prone to anger. Why he has been named head guard for the Kappa is beyond her.

"Do you think it's someone for the Knox? Or Helsing?" Audrey asks, continuing her massage on her mate's shoulders.

Millis frowns at the realization that she hasn't seen her mate in quite some time. He disappeared after following Nathan's orders two days ago and he has yet to get her back for her prank during the meetings. She isn't sure if she should be terrified for his safety or hers.

"I don't fucking care who they're working for. They're pissing me off. When I get my hands on them, they're going to wish to have never known my name."

Millis smiles when she sees her Luna grin. If Nathan had found her before, when she really was weak and on the verge of death, she's sure that Audrey wouldn't be able to handle Nathan's harsh and overcoming personality. But here she is, grinning as her mate discusses in detail how he's going to torture this unknown creature who keeps testing his patience.

"Alpha," Millis senses the omega behind her before she spoke. It's Karmen and as Millis looks at her, she realizes that something's different. She's skinnier and paler. But there's something burning in her eyes that makes Millis want to admire her. Something is troubling her, that's for sure but she doesn't want it to control her. The only question is what is bothering the omega?

Don't look into it.

Millis feels the order rather than hears it. Audrey is staring hard at her with a very stern expression that's unlike her. Her blue eyes are dark, warning her that there is no line to cross with this one. It's black and white and if Millis wants to continue life, she will obey her Iota.

Letting go of a secret is hard. Millis always enjoyed the suspense. She enjoyed learning new tricks to get people to talk and she enjoyed connecting the lines until she discovers it and adds it to her little book of secrets. It's hard to look a secret in the face and let it walk away without blowing out the burning curiosity it brings. Luckily for Audrey, Millis has enough self control to listen to her.