Chapter 64

"Harder...duck..left, right..faster kick, left, right..duck.."

He ducked left under the wood swiftly, feigning right before right hooking the air.

"Faster Jayson!" I called to him.

He's training to become my beta. In order to do so he will have to earn the title, not just with me but my warriors also. To be an alphas beta is a very high status. It's very respected, especially in my pack.

"Good" I praised smiling. He ducked, punched and kicked for a few more minutes before I called him to a stop. He's been at it 8 hours already.

"Walk with me" I sighed softly, offering him my arm. He looked at me confused but hooked his arm through mine and began walking by my side. The forest silent around us.

"I need your advice" I admittedly told him. Not at all ashamed of having to say that. A good leader takes the words of his or her pack into great consideration.

"May I ask what about?" He hesitantly replied. I gave him a small smile. Always the polite one.

"Of course" i continued, looking into the forest in front of us as we walked through it. I thought over my words, not wanting to say anything that would come out wrong.

"Why do you follow me?" I ask him, carefully selecting my words. He looked at me with a slight frown, confused and slightly worried.

"You and Cadell are all I've ever known, why wouldn't I?" He responded. I could hear his thoughts, he's worried that I might be questioning his place here.

"If I asked you to fight and die for me, would you?" I stopped walking as I asked him this.

He furrowed his brows "Alpha, you gave me a chance to live. You could have left me to die, but you didn't. For that I will be forever at your side. My life is nothing, none of our lives mean anything. Only you matter"

I shook my head. My warriors lives all mean something. Now knowing they think different is unsettling.

"Why would you die for me, Jayson?" I bluntly ask him. Weariness flash in his green eyes, telling me all I needed to know.

"The same reason you risked your identity to find me" he gulped. Not daring to say what he really meant.

Lincoln is right. I thought to myself, looking away from Jayson. Clenching my jaw I glanced back at him, coming to terms with this new information.

"Love" I muttered.

He nods hesitantly. "I know that love is weakness. And it is, to or for the weak. But we are strong, and love makes us stronger. Our brother is gone, but we still live. Stronger than yesterday, because the pain love brings is something only strength from inside can overcome"

"Those mentally weak, will become nothing. But we are not weak, we never have been, nor will we ever be. You are stronger than any of us" he told me with serenity. A warm smile fell upon my lips, small but genuine.

"How so?" I mused.

He arched an eyebrow. "A strong person is not the one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds tears for a moment, and then picks up her sword and fights again"

A quiet chuckle passed my lips. His words touched my heart even if he didn't realise it.

"Can you guarantee that every warrior feels the same?" I raise my eyebrow with a stern expression.

"Yes" he says immediately. Confident.

I smile and nod slowly. "What do you think of Lincoln?" I ask him as we began to walk again.