A Game of Chess, A Fishing Lesson

D stepped out of the darkness onto the ship which now sat calmly in the waters. The sound of Ikari's screams still echoing in his mind. He didn't really intend to absorb her. She was right that she deserved a life. And when things were over she was going to get it. But he needed her to know it was a real possibility hanging over her head to help control her. He couldn't let his anger control him again. And for some reason Kuraiyami was always willing to help whenever he needed a less desire able task accomplished. Maybe it was the tendency for such things to be carried out in the darkness of night. Who knew?

"Where did everyone go?" Little Mary jumped on him from above. "Why'd we fall like that? Was that black stuff yours? It stopped the fall so I didn't really get hurt." She spoke quickly without breathing. Though to be honest she didn't need to breathe. She just liked to because the Strawhats did.

"Calm down." D smiled. Children were so enjoyable. "I sent them to safety. The black stuff was a friend of mine. But in a way it's mine."

"Who was that lady you were arguing about?" Mary asked. He was about to say Robin but she continued. "The one with red hair?"

D sighed sadly. "She is a part of me that I tried to bury. A part I need to accept or else I could ruin everything."

"But who is she?" D laughed at her innocence. Children really were God's blessing.

"She's an old friend of mine." He answered her so she could understand. "But not a very nice one."

She was about to say something when the ship was engulfed in light from all around them. "What's going on now?"

"This is why I sent the others to safety." D answered as men in white and blue uniforms began climbing aboard. "This is a marine base."

Nami fell out of the darkness with a surprised scream that cut short when she realized she had fallen less than a foot to the ground. A second later something set her waver on the grass beside her and the darkness dissapeared. And she could have sworn she heard a chuckle before the darkness dissapeared. Standing up she saw that the Mary was surrounded by marine ships and search lights were all pointed at her.

"A marine base." She huffed. "We really do have the worse luck." She needed to hide the waver for now and try to find the others. D could have sent them to the same place but most likely they were all over the island.

Robin watched from behind a set of trees as the Marines searched their ship. With her Eye she could make out D standing by the cabin. Also to her surprise, a little girl was running around on the ship and seemed to be yelling at the Marines. She was curious as to who she was. A ghost? Or something to do with D? Either was possible when involved with him.

"Don't you worry Robin." Ussop popped up from a bush beside her. "The Great Captain Ussop will protect you." He was shaking his goggles off which were dripping water.

Amused she made an arm appear on a trunk beside him and tap his back. "Ghah!?!?" He screamed hysterically.

"My hero." She chuckled. "Now if you could not give our position away I'll find out what is happening on the ship." Ussop opened his mouth but at a look from her was silent. Closing her eyes she focused on the task at hand. An eye and an ear was needed.

D stood attack the cabin as Marines rushed in and out, inspecting everything as they went. And everywhere the went Mary was sure to go. She followed them hitting them and yelling at them.

"Get off of me!" Mary yelled at the Marines. "You didn't get the captain's permission! Don't go in there, that's the lady's quarters!" One and on she yelled with every step they took.