Sauce Me the Remote

Start from the beginning

"Right."

"Let me guess; Drew?"

I merely nod, slightly stunned at his easy guess.

"Is it that obvious?" I ask nervously. If Jordan knows, what's to say the whole school doesn't?

"Blatantly," he replies, causing me to groan.

"Great. Just great. Next thing I know, Beth's going to be asking me if we hook up during our tutoring sessions. She knows that I find him annoying and self-obsessed. He drives us both crazy, she's told me so."

"Hmm..."

"What, Jordan? Do you know something? Speak, man!" I shove him with my elbow, causing the piece of pizza he was eating to flop onto his lap.

"Kaitlyn," he whines. "You were being so boring that I was starting to fall asleep, so I took a piece of pizza to eat, and it was so good I was making noises. Don't judge me."

I glance sideways at him, his lower face covered in pizza sauce, the upside down slice of pizza on his green basketball shorts, and I start laughing. Hard.

Pretty soon, we're both in various states of cracking up. I think the pizza got eaten during that time frame, but who knows? The smell was killing me like always, but like always I couldn't have any.

I just love being lactose intolerant.

Once we calm down, Jordan sighs and rubs my arm with his hand. "But for real, Kaitlyn, don't sweat it. You're smart, and you've dealt with more boys than I'd like to know. Just take things one step at a time. Besides, you only have to see him during tutoring sessions, right?"

"Wrong. We have German together, and he's in my study hall period. I heard a rumor he was switching into my history class fourth hour too, so that might be another class. Granted, we have no interaction, but it bothers me to know that he's in the same room as me doing goodness knows what. I'm pretty sure he skips a lot of class too, which is one of the main reasons why I'm currently tutoring him in every subject."

Jordan whistles. "Sounds like you've got a handful with him in your life. But you're strong. If anything, you've definitely proved that you're strong. Remember when Asher moved away? And you were heartbroken that he left without saying goodbye? Man, the tears you shed when you heard that he said-"

"Okay!" I shout over him "You've made your point. Now, can we talk about something else, please?"

His chuckle makes me smile. "Of course, little sis. Let's catch up. I feel like I haven't talked to you in three years."

We spend the rest of the night talking and laughing, pausing only to call Grandma when we remember she might want to know about Jordan's injury. Around 9:30, Sam comes in and drops his backpack off. After a quick hello and explanation about Jordan's knee from us, he heads upstairs. Turning my focus back onto Jordan, I listen, enraptured as he recounts his adventure with Peyton they had last week while bowling.

I shove him. "Why don't you just ask her out already? It's obvious she likes you, otherwise I seriously doubt she would be hanging out with you this much. Besides, based off of what you've said, she's being very flirty. In girl talk, flirting equals like."

Jordan rolls his eyes before mussing up my hair. "Kaitlyn, I asked her to be my girlfriend at beginning of the week. Only, you were too busy being exasperated with Drew to hear me talking about it at dinner on Tuesday. "

I hold up my hands. "Guilty as charged."

We fall into a comfortable silence, and I glance at my phone. 10:00 pm. Responsible Kaitlyn wants to go to bed, but brother-loving, Drew-whatsing Kaitlyn wants to stay up. Only problem, I think I'm going to fall asleep soon.