Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"Perfect." I muttered, and I began plotting.

We all climbed into the van, and I sat in Liam's lap, curled into a ball. "Paul, do you know where Dr. Dreanna's is?" Liam asked, and Paul nodded. The car ride was silent, and I broke the silence. "Liam," I asked quietly. "Hmmm?" He murmured into my hair. "Will you go with me? To talk to this doctor person? I don't want to talk to her, but I know you want me to." I hid in his chest, blushing, and he pulled my chin up, looking at me with soft eyes. "Of course." I hugged him, and he held my hand when we walked in. I shivered, and he whispered, "What's wrong?" "I'm not a huge fan of hospitals." I whispered back. "Or waiting rooms." He smiled, and I sat in his lap because there was 8 seats and 10 people. He started playing with my hair, and I tugged on my shirt that said, 'I am who I am.' I grasped his hand tightly and we walked to the nurse, who led us to a room. I began pacing, and Liam sighed and sat down.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Dreannna. I'm assuming that you're Alyson?" She said, looking at me. I shook hands with her. "Pleasure to meet you." I looked at her for a minute. She was short, like around 5'4, had dark skin with curly hair. I looked in her brown eyes, and only found kindness and exhastion. "Dr, are you ok? You look a little tired." I said, quietly. She looked at me funny. "I'm fine, Alyson. You are here because your friends are worried about you. Hello, Mr. Payne, how are you?" She directed at Liam, and he nodded thoughtfully. "A little concerned about my Aly, but other than that, great. Thank you." She smiled, and gestured towards the couch. I sat on the edge of the couch, looking for all the exits. I scanned the room, counting each way out. I could climb through the window, sprint out this door, or dash away with everyone through the main door. "Aly? Aly, love, Dr. Dreanna just asked you a question."

I snapped my head towards her. "I'm terribly sorry. Do you mind repeating the question, ma'am?" I asked, and she smiled sweetly. "Not at all. Liam told me about this voice in your head, and how it tells you things." I glared at Liam, and he looked away with a guilty face. "Sweetie, he had to tell me. You have to talk to me. I'm here to help." She said, and I sighed. "What type of things does this voice tell you?" She asked, and I looked at the ground, then at her. "Would you mind if I talked to Liam? I feel a little uncomfortable talking to someone I don't really know." Dr. Dreanna smiled, and nodded. "LiLi?" I asked quietly, and he looked up. "The voice says stuff like I'm not good enough, that I'm ugly, and that everyone befriended me and you became my boyfriend because you pitied me. When you were doing the interview with the blonde lady that was dressed a little too skimpy for London weather, the voice came, and said stuff like, why would the Liam Payne want you when he could have a girl with a perfect body, blonde hair, and stunning blue eyes." I stopped talking and twiddled my thumbs, as Dr. Dreanna's pen scratched against the clipboard.

"Ok, Aly. What does the voice sound like? Male or female, older or younger?" I responded quietly, "The voice is like my own, but it sounds meaner and more, evil." She scratched more things down, and continued with the questions. After some questions like, 'What's your favorite...' and what-not, she asked a question that I dreaded. "What was your childhood like?" I frowned, and I stood up, pacing. "My childhood, is a dark place. I was abused by my mother, and my father left early and came home late from his factory job. I was too fat, too smart, too tall. I moved to Arizona with my father away from my mother for a year, but we moved back to Texas. I lost all this weight, and looked beautiful. Until I stepped into the locker room to change out for track. I had these and brusies." I lifted my shirt, exposing my stomach and back while pacing. "I was ugly, ugly, ugly. I was smart, too. Too smart. I worked harder than the other girls on the track team, I worked harder than everyone in all my classes, I was the Daddy Direction. I was everyone's shoulder to cry on. I never had a shoulder. That stupid little voice made me go an extra mile and beat everyone else. Literally. I was better. I was faster, stronger, smarter. I was always last. I never got picked, and I sat in the corner, waiting for the day where they would pay. They will all pay when I'm their boss. When I'm the bigger person." I started crying, my voice steadly rising until I was yelling at the walls. I stopped yelling and pacing, and I sat down, tears streaming down my face. I started sobbing and rocking, and Liam held me in his lap. "I'm backwards. I'm backwards, do you hear me? BACKWARDS!" I sobbed, and Liam started stroking my hair.

"You," I said, pointing at the doctor. "You're just here to listen to me, and tell others about how I'm crazy. Why am I talking to you? I don't want you to spread rumors about me, telling people my secrets because you wanted fresh meat to gnaw on. No, no, no ma'am. I don't want you to gossip about me behind my back. Aly will help you, hold you, listen to your secrets and never tell a soul. You will help Aly, hold her, listen to her deepest darkest secrets, and tell every person on the flipping planet. Because that's how people are. I know. I know it, I've seen the real world. I was smart enough to learn about how the world works, but in reality, no one has a clue. No one! Not even these creeps we call politians. I'm sorry. I was being tacky. Would you like a cookie?" I reached into my bag, and pulled out a cookie in a plastic bag. Liam looked at me funny, and I sighed. I reached back in and handed him a cookie too. "No more. I promised Niall I would have a cookies for him, and there's one left." I smiled, and Dr. Dreanna exclaimed, "Wow! These are really good. Would you mind baking some cookies for our bake sale this weekend?" I grinned. "Really? I would love to. Would you mind if I sat with y'all? I would love to see people smile when they take a bite." She nodded, and finished her cookie. "Here's the verdict. Aly, the voice in your head is sorta like your conscience. It's telling you things you have been taught. You were taught that you are worthless, but in reality, you're more precious than gold in someone's eyes. You might not know it yet, but it's true. Liam, she needs at least one compliment per day. Here is the official document, and the bake sale starts at 9 A.M. on Saturday morning at the animal shelter." Liam took the paper, and thanked her.

We walked out of the room, and I took my perscription out of Li's hand. One compliment and baking cookies. I smiled, but frowned when I saw Niall and Belle were sitting on the floor. I wrinkled my nose. "Guys, do you know how dirty the floor might be? Oh, and you might want to read my perscription. I think y'all will like it." I handed it to Niall, and Belle looked over his shoulder. They started fangirling majorly. Like, jumping up and down screaming, "COOKIES! MORE COOKIES! WOOO HOOO!" I laughed, and we headed towards the van. I sat in Liam's lap, and said, "Be presentable at 7. We are going on a date. And, that wasn't too bad. I just don't trust her. Or anyone really. I hope you know the only reason I talked was because you were there." I started playing with his hair, and he laughed. "Oh, really?" His chocolate brown eyes sparkled, and I lost my breath for a minute when I realized something. The voice was here, but it sounded gentler, more loving. Liam James Payne is beautiful, and he is mine... for now.

-------------------------------------------------

If you look closely at a tree

you'll notice it's knots and dead branches,

just like our bodies.

What we learn is that

beauty and imperfection

go together

wonderfully.