Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I watched the fire crackle and pop, knowing it was too late. I heard people talking to me - no, AT me. I felt people pushing and shoving me back, away from the fire, away from my dad. I had my eyes locked on the fire, hating it, despising it, wanting to kill it for killing the one person who loved me. I felt my knees give out from under me, and it all turned black.

*1 month later.*

"Mom-" "Don't 'Mom' me. For the last time, I never wanted you. My name isn't 'Mom', it's Beth." My 32 year old mother snapped, dragging me through the airport, fearing my flight had left without me. Only because then she would have to deal with me. I followed her, my suitcase clicking from old age. She shoved me through security, and left me.

"Yeah, I love you, too." I muttered before approaching a kind looking woman, in her early fifties. "Um, pardon me ma'am." I quickly explained my situation, lying about how my parents both died in a fire and I was supposed to go to London to live with my aunt. She smiled, and quickly looked at my ticket. "Well, I'm glad you found me. We have the same flight, and we sit next to each other." She smiled up and me, and introduced herself. "I'm Mary." "Alyson. Pleased to meet you." I replied, blushing.

I followed her around like a puppy dog, and we boarded. I felt my ears pop as we asended, and I held my head. Mary looked over, and after digging in her Coach purse, pulled out and handed me some gum. "Here honey, chew this. It'll relieve the pressure in your ears." I thanked her and began chewing the gum, being careful not to chew too hard or too loudly.

I sat and talked to Mary about her reasons for traveling to London. She smiled, and got a joyful twinkle in her eye. "My grandchildern live in London with my son and daughter-in-law. I'm traveling to visit while my other son gets married this week." I smiled, and she began telling me story after story about her 2 grandkids.

"Tell your son that I say congratulations, and say hello to your grandkids for me. They sound like good kids." I smiled and gave her a hug after we exited the plane. "Thank you for helping me." I added. She smiled and gave me a grandmotherly pat on the back. I walked away after seeing a 7 year old boy and a 2 year old girl rush up to Mary, giving her big hugs.

I called my Aunt Marie, and asked where she was, because I had no idea what she looked like. She described herself, and I saw a woman that fit the description talking on a cellphone near a fountain. I continued talking into the phone, and gently tapped the tall woman on the shoulder. She looked over, and hung up the phone. "Alyson!" She wrapped me in a giant hug, and I squealed with delight. My first hug since Dad died. We quickly left the airport, and arrived at the apartment complex where Aunt Marie lived.

She began telling me the rules, stuff I already knew. "Oh, and you can call me anything you like, Mum, Aunt Marie, Marie, whatever you want." I smiled at her and we grabbed my suitcases out of the trunk. We stepped into the elevator and exited on the 17th floor. We walked down the long hallway, stopping about in the middle of the way.

She showed me around her roomy apartment, and pointed to the room closest to the bathroom. "Your room. I didn't know what type of furniture to get you, so I figured we could go furniture shopping tomorrow. You can sleep and get used to the time zone difference tomorrow while I work, then we can leave when I get home." She smiled, and I gave her a hug. I gently set down my suitcases, and wandered around my room.

I walked into the closest, and I found that it was a walk-in closet with a long mirror hanging on the door. I gasped, but quickly got over my shock. I began to unpack my clothes, arranging them by color, after changing into a green tank and black basketball shorts. "Pink, green, pink again, blue, yellow, black..." I muttered as I put away clothes. I set down the purple tank top and pull on a jacket when the door bell rings.

"Alyson!" I hear Aunt - or uh, Mom - yell. "Yeah? What cha need?" I ask as I begin walking towards the voices in the hallway. "Come meet the neighbors!"

-----------------------------------------------------

If you look closely at a tree

you'll notice it's knots and dead branches,

just like our bodies.

What we learn is that

beauty and imperfection

go together

wonderfully.