Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I sighed and began.

"Well, I have lived in Texas since I was 5 meaning I have lived there for 11 years. I lived in a small town, and I was smarter than everyone else. I took the most advanced classes they offered at school, and I was acing them easily. I was always teased growing up because I was smarter, and I was heavy. I moved to Arizona for a year, and lost a whole bunch of weight. Like, I dropped 8 pant sizes. I went from a 22 to a 14. Girls dressed out for track practice in the locker rooms, and I was teased for my, um..." I blushed, and he was concerned.

"Your what?" He questioned. "My, um... My..." I shook my head. "Can I just show you? But don't tell anyone!" I begged. "Ok." He nodded. I held out my pinkie. "Pinkie promise?" "Pinkie promise." He nodded. I took, and I lifted my t-shirt just a little bit to expose my stomach. I pointed at the pink lines dancing across my stomach when I breathed. "Oh." He looked, then turned his head.

"Ugly, I know. I was called ugly, and I never went swimming. I wore jeans and t-shirts all the time, trying not to expose my stomach, or my back. I was ashamed. I was pretty with clothes on, but the minute I put on a swimsuit that showed off my back or stomach, I was uglier than Ugly Betty. Anyway, I had to work harder than the other girls, because I wasn't related to anyone. I was always picked last. I just... I just sat in the background, waiting. Waiting for the day, where I would finally be good enough. I've never had a boyfriend, I only had 2 friends. I would make excuses like, a friend invited me to spend the night, is that ok? My parents didn't care. I would spend the night in the schoolyard, hidden in the bushes. I was alone. I... I'm rambling. Never mind." I shut up.

Liam looked at me, and I stared at the wooden floor. I stood up, and I grabbed 2 water bottles. I handed him one, and I sat down to take a sit. "Are you going to keep going?" I looked him in eye. "You don't care. I know. No one cares about Alyson. Alyson cares about everyone, and makes sure everyone is comfortable, and makes sure everyone is happy. Alyson knows no one cares. Everyone vents to Alyson, and Alyson keeps secrets secret, but when Alyson vents, secrets are never secret." I feel tears crawl down my cheeks.

He wiped the tears. "Please. I want to know. I want to be your first friend." I smiled. "Thank you. It must be nice to have 4 people you're so close to. Anyway, I wasn't treated fairly, but it was all I ever knew. I didn't know how to stand up for myself. I woke up, survived the school day, went home, baked or played my flute, and went to bed. It was horrible. I started writing poems, but no one has read them. I would smile, and say I was fine, but I never ate lunch. During lunch, I would sit in the bathroom and cry. I would cry silently, and no one knew I cried. I would walk out with a emotionless expression. Once, I lost control of my emotions. I cried in the middle of math class. One girl asked me what was wrong. 'Nothing.' I replied, even with the tears jumping out of my eyes. She ignored me for the rest of class, and no one else noticed. I was truely invisible. I knew everything, I heard everything, but no one knew." I smiled up at Liam.

"Are you sure you really want to be invisible?" He shook his head. "Not anymore." He hugged me, and I cried into his shoulder. I heard the door open, and close. I stood up, and raced to the bathroom. "Oh, hello Liam. Where's Alyson?" "I don't know. She heard the door open, and raced up the stairs. I'll go get her for you." He offered. I heard the smile in Marie's voice. "Thank you." I heard Liam clomp up the stairs. He knocked on my bedroom door, and I quickly washed my face and reapplyed my makeup. "Hey Liam. Why are you in my room?" I questioned, and yanked his shirt off.

I tossed him another oversized t-shirt, and I threw his in the washer. "What was that for?" He exclaimed. "Umm... My mascara was running onto your shirt." I blushed. "Sorry about yanking your shirt off." I grinned and bounced down the stairs. "Hey Marie! Let me know when your ready." I smile and hugged my aunt. She smiled. "Let's go." "Wait! Can my new friends tag along? I would like their opinions, since we will be spending tons of time together." She smiled, and nodded her head. "Liam!" I shouted. "Call Louis, Harry, Zayn, and Niall and ask if they want to help pick out my bedroom set!"

Liam nodded, and we all piled into a van. "To... Hey Aunt Marie, what's the store we're going to called?" "Heal's" "To Heal's" I shouted victoriously, and the everyone laughed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you look closely at a tree

you'll notice it's knots and dead branches,

just like our bodies.

What we learn is that

beauty and imperfection

go together

wonderfully.