Bombay Mixx - Chapter Two - Part One

Start from the beginning

After rearranging the lunch date (which wasn’t hard as she took the day off work…it must be really bad as she lives and breathes work!), I continued with the huge pile of work Ann managed to keep adding to my desk as she walked past every 10 minutes. ‘Oh well,I thought as I tried not to concentrate on my heart being ripped to shreds.

But the time had come to face it.

I had been so busy trying to tune out the Romeo and Juliet performance by keeping occupied that I didn’t realise the time had flown past. ‘Please bring a pen and notepad,’ Ann ordered as she regarded the completed work.          

So we walked in and immediately I felt the colour drain from my face.

I imagined her to be a horse faced, posh but dull looking blonde, who he only married because she had a few acres of daddy’s land in the countryside and attended boring museum functions…but she was far from that.

Indeed she was blonde, but she looked more like a Swedish natural blonde model. Even after having two children she looked like she was only a size 6. Wearing an expensive looking baggy white shirt, tucked into some dark brown wide calf length shorts, beautiful strappy brown sandals which looked like they were they were designed specifically for her ankles and an expensive large brown Prada bag.

She was naturally pretty with minimal makeup and hair tied in the messy but stylish bun, to show that she wanted to be understated. She smiled and walked over to me.

I began to sweat as she held her hand out and I wondered if at any second she was going to slap me. ‘Hello, my name is Mrs. Maguire. I seem to know everyone here but I haven’t seen you before. Are you new?’ she purred as she examined my poor attempt at dress up.

‘Oh, so she doesn’t have a first name? What a cow! She knows everyone here, does she? Does she know that her husband is a lying, cheating sod, who has trouble getting it up? Bet that would wipe the smug look off her face!’I thought as I tried to gather some form of moisture in my mouth to answer her. ‘Hello, my name is Nita and I am indeed a new recruit. It’s a pleasure,’ I answered as I gritted my teeth.

There was an awkward silence and I could see Angus shifting in his chair out of the corner of my eye. Everyone else had entered the room and some of the management were playing with the children. ‘So, are you enjoying it so far, Nita? I hope my husband isn’t working you too hard? I know he can be a tyrant sometimes,’ she chuckled. ‘Yes, I’m enjoying it, thank you and your husband isn’t much of a tyrant really. I actually think he might be having trouble keeping up with me,’ I laughed.

Angus heard the last remark and shot me a look of pure anger and I made my way to my seat.

Mrs. Maguire stood confused for a second but decided it was time to take the children to their nannies and go shopping (ok so she didn’t say that but isn’t that all these high society ladies do with their days?) and we started the meeting.

The meeting lasted for an hour with regular intervals for tea and coffee (with those delicious, expensive little assorted biscuits that make you want ten but you know that each nugget has about 1000 calories in it!) and although there were initial looks of irritation from Angus, he remained quiet about the recent events.

After the concluding questions and answers session, I made a quick escape to avoid Angus’s rage.

*********************************************************************

Amelia was sat in the cosy, family run restaurant in a small table in the corner of the room.

It must have been serious as she had already gone through half a bottle of white wine. ‘Hey hun, have you been here long?’ I asked whilst looking at the half empty bottle, hoping this was the reason for the liquid absence. She didn’t flinch at the question and just calmly concluded, ‘nope, just been a hard couple of days’.