Chapter Twenty Three

They had placed me in a holding cell for the night, thankfully I was alone. It gave me time to concentrate on my thoughts of Jack and form some sort of plan to get my way. They put me in the room immediately after the interview, telling me they'll let me out in the morning once they figure out the next step they wanted to take. 

The cell was pretty cramped, but it was bigger than the room I recorded in for hours at a time, making it manageable. The walls were just black bars, not allowing any privacy, not that I minded, and a single bed rested in the corner. I figured they never held more than one person in this room. It felt obscure and unreal being in such a setting that I wasn't used to. I'd never once been in a cell before of any kind.

I hoped Jack was alright and Felix was treating him well. Maybe it's the sedatives they gave me talking, but if Felix was going to be with Jack, he might as well be the best he can to my sweetheart. It still sounded somewhat inappropriate to call him that, though I loved it. I was getting used to my efforts being pushed away as jokes, having them finally being taken seriously was a big change, but it was for the better. 

"Hey, Fischbach," An officer clanked his hand against the bars to get my attention. I looked up at him, expectantly, waiting for him to tell me what he wants. "You've got a couple of calls waiting for you. Though we usually don't allow this... I've been told you're... what? A celebrity?"

"You could call it that," I hummed, not wanting him to know that I was really just some sort of internet icon. He unlocked the cell and lead me to a different, empty room, which was completely white other than the single chair and table inside, along with a phone. I wondered if they just had too many rooms in the building and didn't know what to do with all the space. Either way, I sat down, he closed the door to give me privacy as he waited outside. I noticed there were several lines and I wondered if they were all for me. I picked up the phone, holding it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey, Mark, it's Rob," A deep voice spoke through the phone, surprising me, as I hadn't heard from the guy in such a long time.

"Rob? Rob Dyke?" I asked, searching for confirmation and wondering why he was calling me.

"Yeah, how are you doing? I just heard what happened and I've been searching for a way to get ahold of you for about an hour now," He somewhat explained, making me smile slightly at the thought that even people I only somewhat knew weren't necessarily against me. I wondered if Felix or Jack made a video explaining what was going on. "Felix made a quick video explaining what was going on, saying your mental health was out of whack and did somethings he doesn't hold against you."

"He did? I'm surprised. I thought he hated me, but I'm okay, I might be getting released tomorrow. They're preforming an evaluation on my mental health and depending on if I'm bad enough, they'll let me take therapy sessions and medications, hopefully let me go home."

"Good to hear, everything will be alright. I didn't want to ask, but I want to spread the word that you're doing alright and things aren't as bad as people are making it out to be, so do you think I could explain what's happening through a video?" Rob asked, which I wasn't at all offended by, which I thought I'd be. I understood Felix making a video about it and was sure many other YouTubers have talked about it through a video - probably just for views and the sake of using my name - but Rob seemed genuine and it fit his channel, in the sense of reporting dark events. 

"Sure, no problem. I guess I have several other calls waiting, so I'll talk to you once I get out. Thanks for caring, Rob," I sighed as he returned a goodbye, hanging up the call. I clicked on the next line. "Hello?"

"Mark?! We're all worried sick! What in the world is going on? Is what's on the internet and the news true?" My step-mother's voice rang through the phone and I bit my lip nervously, not wanting to hear from family at the moment.

"Um, I can't explain right now, I don't have anymore time. Please tell everyone not to try and call me until I can contact you guys on my own. I promise I'm alright, I'll explain when I can," I lied, hoping my voice didn't deceive me.

"Okay, Mark. I'll talk to you later."

"Buh-bye," I clicked on the next line. "Hello?"

"Mark!" A happy Irish accented voice sang through the line, soothing me entirely and bringing a bright smile to my lips.

"Hi, sweetheart," I grinned, sitting up giddily. It reminded me of the phone calls we used to have before all of this went down, where I'd get overly excited just at hearing his voice. "How are you holding up?"

"That doesn't matter. How are you?" He countered, but I couldn't miss the sadness laced in his voice that was usually so happy. 

"I'm fine, but how are you? Seriously."

"I'm fine too, Felix took off for a couple days back home, but he'll be back. It's just a little lonely," Jack sighed, I imagined him pulling his hands up to cover the bottom half of his face like he occasionally did when he was anxious or excited. "I better record a couple videos and get back at it."

"That sounds like a good idea, sweetheart. If it gets cold at the house, don't be afraid to adjust the temperature, okay? I want you to be as comfortable as possible. Get some food in you and if you don't want to cook, I have some money stored away in the top shelf of my drawer in my bedroom that you can use. I love you," I hummed as though I'd been through this with Jack a million times before. 

"Thank you, I love you too. See you tomorrow?" He asked hopefully, making me smile even brighter. 

"Hopefully," I sighed, the thought of seeing him again making me melt. 

"Okay, well, I'll see you."

"Love you, sweetheart," I said again, hoping it'd stick in his head as his words had in mine.

"Love you too," He hung up and I had no interest in any of the other calls, hanging up on everyone that was waiting. Oh, well.