Chapter Nine

I sighed to myself as I locked the basement door for the last time of the night. Wade, Bob, Jack, and I had gone out to eat when they came back from shopping. The ping was there the entire time, but I feel like I'm getting a bit more of a hold on it. Everyone went to bed and I had just taken care of Felix again, I didn't want to hurt him.

"Whatcha doing, Mark?" Jack asked, I gave him a smile instantly, loving just the sight of him.

"Just cleaning up," I replied, which was the truth.

"You know, I've never seen your basement before," He hinted, clearly wanting to look down there. I shrugged and turned, unlocking the door and holding it open for him. He seemed a bit startled by my sudden openness. He hesitated, but started down the stairs, looking around once he reached the bottom. "Man, that television is old."

"Yeah, I forgot I had it until I started cleaning up down here," I smiled and he nodded.

"So... Have you heard from Felix?" He asked me, his eyes searching every inch of the basement, but nothing was out of place or out of the ordinary. Felix was long gone.

"No, why? Have you?" I countered and saw his face lose color. He shook his head after a moment. "Well, are you done looking around? You need some sleep."

"Yeah, alright," He breathed out and I followed him back upstairs.

Jack and I had been hanging out after Wade and Bob went back to their hotel. He opened up his laptop and a note fell out, my mind immediately went to Felix. He was reading it and his face fell entirely, I asked what was wrong and what the paper was, but he just said it was nothing, pushing the subject away entirely.

I had enough time to take care of Felix again, knowing Jack would somehow get into the basement or ask to check it out. I forced myself into plan b, which I didn't want to do, but I had no choice. If we were quiet enough, we could probably hear Felix screaming, but the chance of us being that silent was slim. A soft hum could cover it up, him being far enough away.

It was nice, having the house to just Jack and I. This was the night I had been waiting for, one where no one else was around to interfere or make fun of us for being close. I was a little too excited to have him to myself, though I could tell he looked terrified. I had to do something about that.

"Instead of going to bed, want to play a couple games first?" I asked, to which he just silently nodded in response. He sat down next to me on the couch and I managed to snatch the note that Felix left him from his pocket. He objected, but I had already read it before he could get it back. "Is this what's gotten you so upset?"

"I..." Jack was clearly searching his mind for a logical excuse, but I just chuckled, the shock in his face becoming more evident.

"Bob or Wade must've left this in your laptop before you guys left earlier to freak you out," I laughed and he seemed to become immediately relieved. The trust he held in me had no end apparently, though I bet he was still weary.

"Those assholes really freaked me out," Jack giggled, returning more to his old, bubbly self. I grinned brightly and put an arm around him.

"I'll scold them for you tomorrow," I told him, knowing I'd actually threaten one of them to say they were the one behind it. No one was going to get in between Jack and I - especially that goddamn Swede, who was causing more problems than he was worth. I tried to nice towards him, but he wrecked his chances of comfort. "Did you really think I'd ever do anything to Felix, Sean?"

"No, not really. He just... He was getting to me before he left," Jack smiled to reassure me that he trusted me more than Felix - at least that's how I viewed it.

"You can trust me, you know that."

"Wow, such a serious conversation coming out of a joke," Jack laughed, somewhat avoiding my statement.

"Well, you can trust me. Right?"

"Of course, Markle Sparkle," He smiled and cuddled up to me, giving me his best puppy dog eyes. "You can trust me too, can't you?"

"Yes," I said truthfully and he smirked.

"What if I told you Wade was a duck?"

"I'd one hundred percent believe you," I laughed and he tried sitting up normally, but I held him down and cuddled him closer. "I'll never let go, Jack!"

"You know she lets go at the end of that movie," He giggled and I smiled.

"She let Jack down! There was totally enough room for the two of them on that stupid door! Trust me, I really won't ever let go," I laughed, though my thoughts went to a darker place as we talked about the first movie Felix watched in the basement. I felt awful about what I did to him, knowing I'd have to dig him back up in a couple of days, just to put him back right after until I can figure out what I'm doing with Jack and about the ping in my stomach. I can only hope we'll still be friends by the end of all this. I suddenly asked out of the blue, "Have you heard of Darkiplier?"

"I hang around your fandom too much, so yes," I let him sit back up, seeing the confusion written on his face. "What about it?"

"What do you think about it? There's a lot of fans saying it's like a demon or a spiritual force-"

"I think it's a state of mind," He interrupted me seriously. "If Darkiplier was real, I think it'd be just apart of you. We all have our dark sides, why does yours have to be something supernatural?"

"That's a good point," I hummed, thinking it over. I wonder if he was right or if there really was a demon inside of me. These thoughts seem too dark to be my own.