Chapter Fourteen

The room was insanely tense as we sat together in the living room, 'watching' a random movie Mark picked out - though nobody seemed to be paying any attention to it. I wondered if Mark heard Bob and I talking in the kitchen, as he seemed quieter than usual, but I suppose I was as well. I was terrified of slipping up and spilling what was going down tonight. I felt Bob squeeze my shoulder and I turned to him, giving a soft smile. 

A hand wrapped around my wrist and I looked the other way, Mark seeming stressed, but calming down by grabbing onto me. I couldn't help the warm feeling that spread throughout me, knowing I was giving him something. It was moments like this where I wished this entire situation would simply disappear. I wanted to reach out to Mark, tell him I'd do anything to solve this situation without losing anyone, but I didn't have the strength or courage. It was tough being in a room full of friends and not feeling safe enough to speak your mind. 

A long awaited knock come from the door, shaking us all away from our thoughts. We all gave each other a small glance, as if we all knew who it was. I shuffled closer to Bob as Mark stood and headed to answer. Wade stole Mark's spot, noticeably eyeing Bob and I carefully. I wondered what their plan was if they knew the police were coming. Surely Felix's wounds would be enough proof, right?

"Hello, officers, what can I do for you?" Mark's low voice hummed out, pausing for a moment before adding, "Good to see you, Felix."

"Cut the shit, Mark," I could clearly hear Felix's Swedish accent flowing through the house.

"Mr. Kjellberg here has told us quite the story," A male voice said, presumably an officer. "Perhaps Mr. Kjellberg, my partner, and I could come in and we could chat over a cup of coffee - I've got a late night ahead of me."

"Of course, come on in," Mark stepped aside, revealing a male and female officer, along with Felix, who smiled when he saw me. I got off the couch and went up to him, hugging him tightly, and patting his back. 

"Hey," He said softly, pulling away.

"Hey," I grinned.

"I'm officer Freeman and this is my partner, Croft, you can call us Gordon and Lara if you'd like," Officer Freeman said, looking to each of us, settling on me. He stuck out a hand, which I automatically took without much thought. "You must be Sean McLoughlin."

"Just call me Jack," I nodded and he walked over to the others, becoming acquainted with everyone in the room. 

"Alright, we'd like a chance to talk with everyone individually. Mr. Fischbach, I'd like you to talk with Lara in the kitchen, while I interview Jack in the living room. Is that alright with you two?"

"Yeah," Mark sighed and followed Ms. Croft to the kitchen, as Mr. Freeman glanced at Bob and Wade.

"Do you two mind stepping outside or into a different room?" Gordon asked politely, earning a nod from my friends, who immediately stepped outside. "Would you like to take a seat?"

I nodded and sat down on the couch, him grabbing a chair from the kitchen and putting it on the other side of the table in front of me. We were silent for a while and it suddenly felt like an interrogation, though it was probably just me being paranoid. I realized Felix hadn't been told to leave and turned to see him listening in on Mark's interview, but not objecting to anything. I couldn't help but wonder what they were talking about and if Mark was telling the truth. 

"So, Mr. Kjellberg says this whole thing revolves around you. What's your knowledge of that?" He shot his first question, which was one I should've been expecting.

"It all indirectly involves me, I guess. I don't know. The most I did, really, was dig Felix out of the ground. Otherwise, I wasn't really involved at all," I answered, afraid of saying the wrong thing. 

"Did you witness Mr. Fischbach mistreat Mr. Kjellberg at any time? I'd love to be able to help you folks, but we need solid witnesses and evidence that directly points to Fishbach - otherwise we have to run on Kjellberg's word alone and who knows if that'll be enough?" He explained, helping me understand what I needed to say, but there was nothing to be said.

"I didn't personally see Mark hurt him. Felix just left me a note saying he was locked in the basement, but soon after, he was put in a crate. I heard him screaming and tracked him down, digging him out of the ground. The next morning, Mark stuffed a shirt or something down the pipe that was letting Felix breathe when he was buried. He tried to kill him."

"We took a glance out back beforehand and didn't see a pipe in the ground. We have one more officer outside, who is checking the dirt as we speak. Is there a chance you have taken any drugs or consumed any alcoholic beverages in the last twenty four hours? Do you have a history of mental illness?" He suddenly shot random questions my way, making it sound as though I was crazy.

"What?! No! I swear, I don't suffer from any illnesses, I haven't drank in at least a week, and I'd never do drugs! I'm about as square as they come!" I swore hands down, 

"I just believe it is unlikely Mr. Fishbach would bury his friend alive. What motive would he have? At this point, I'm starting to think Mr. Kjellberg was either under some kind of influence or abducted by someone else, who mentally scarred him into being afraid of Fishbach. You may have been slipped a drug last night by whoever abducted him into thinking Fishbach buried him alive in the backyard."

"Felix said Mark was acting out in jealousy. He said he'd get this ping in his stomach whenever anyone even looks at me and that Mark was thinking about putting me in Felix's place," I explained, but he just shook his head, rising out of his seat.

"The original abductor must've filled his head with these accusations. My son actually is a huge fan of all three of you and he met Mark at some convention. Said he was one of the kindest people he's ever met. I get you're paranoid - hell, maybe the abductor got to you too - but I see no reason for Fishbach to commit these crimes." 

He picked up the chair and took it back to the kitchen as I thought about all the ways he could be right. Maybe Felix did just get into my mind out of sheer terror of someone else. He was one of - if not the most - well known internet sensation, everyone knew who he was, anyone could've stumbled along him and took him. As far-fetched as it seems, maybe the cop was right.

I've known Mark for how long now and he's never once shown a speck of violence unless it was anger through a game or fake outbursts to be funny. Even in the most stressful situations, I've never once seen him lose his cool out of context. Why would he do all of this over me anyway? The romantic notes in his computer, the endless pictures... Maybe they were all fake. It's entirely unlike him and I suddenly feel absolutely stupid for believing Felix, but maybe I trusted him because deep down, I wanted Mark to love me. Even if it was a wrong, sadistic love.

~

A/N: Thank you once again for reading! Originally, I was going to have the police arrest Mark, but I'm having way too much fun to let it go yet. *laughs evilly* Yes, I just did that. The next chapter will probably help this one make more sense, so don't worry, logic sets in soon! Love ya, goobers.<3