177

(warning: slightly shitty)

"so, i-i talked to mum this morning," phil began, scratching his neck nervously and watching as dan slowly lifts his head, furrowing his eyebrows at him.

"about what?" his voice is soft, as he tilts his head slightly in confusion and phil breaks eye contact with him, fixing his gaze on the checkered tablecloth before speaking again.

"um, about, about us," he says, waiting for dan's reaction but dan's cheeks just flush, and he pushes the hair away from his forehead before biting his lip.

"oh," the younger boy stammers a bit, before shaking his head. "w-what did she say?"

"she wasn't mad at me like i thought she would be a-nd she likes you, i mean," phil pauses to look at dan, noticing the way dan's cheeks have turned a deep shade of pink and his teeth are digging in his bottom lip.

"she thinks you are lovely," phil continues and dan just gives phil a small smile, feeling the temperature rise in the small cottage. his heart is pounding loudly in his chest and his stomach is twisting into knots as he imagines the kind of conversation phil had with his mother.

to be honest, he did not expect phil to talk to his parents about them any soon and just the fact that phil admitted their relationship to his mother makes a feeling of unusual relief rise inside him.

he feels slightly assured, slightly happy, slightly closer to phil than he was in the past few minutes, and dan just looks up at phil, watching the way phil his fiddling nervously with his fingers, blue eyes fixed on the table.

"hey," dan reached across, placing his hand on top of phil's and phil just looked up at him, his lips pursed and his eyes bright.

"i-i'm happy that you talked to your mum," dan admitted and phil just flushed nodding his head slowly. "it means a lot to me," dan added causing a faint smile to form on phil's pink lips, and dan just smiled back sheepishly, squeezing his hand softly.

when their food arrived, they ate it quietly, not engaging much in conversation.

for the first time in a few weeks it wasn't uncomfortable silence.

it wasn't the silence that begged phil to open his mouth and scream, not the silence which kept dan awake at night.

it was a calm silence, a heavy weight lifting from phil's chest when he looked at dan, a small smile forming on his lips as he watched dan stuff the waffles in his mouth. he did not look stressed, or bothered, or uneasy. he looked..normal.

slightly normal, but phil was content with that.

dan felt better.

a lot better after phil's confession and although he still had so many questions he just pushed the paranoia to the back of his head. finally he did not feel like crying when he looked at phil and the air wasn't awkward and full of tension. he felt strangely calm, a warm feeling settling in his heart, telling him that things will slowly go right.

"want some of mine?" phil offered a forkful of pancakes, drenched in syrup, interrupting dan's chain of thought and dan just leaned forward and grabbing the utensil between his lips, before giving phil a soft smile.

"thanks," he mumbled with a mouthful and phil just reached across with a napkin, wiping the corner of dan's mouth making the younger boy flush.

to avoid looking at phil, dan just cut a piece of his waffle, bringing it to phil's mouth and phil just smiled at him before slowly taking the food in his mouth.

dan liked it, the way phil rolled his eyes when dan told him that his dish was better than phil's, and he was happy that phil was back to his goofy self when he grabbed dan's drink without any consent, drinking a mouthful, a foam moustache forming above his lips.

phil liked how dan laughed, his eyes shutting close and his loud laughter echoing in the small cafeteria, before he leaned forward and wiped phil's mouth with his sleeve, regretting the decision when his jumper was ruined. he was happy that dan was back to his slightly dumb and irritable self, blaming phil for staining his jumper and flailing his arms, saying that it was his favourite piece of clothing in the entire world.

and when their food was finished, phil paid for them, dan pouting at the fact that phil was still paying for everything but phil just poked his cheek with his finger, mumbling a quiet "it's okay, you can pay when you get a job," which made a small smile appear on dan's face, his cheeks dipping in, forming deep dimples.

five minutes later they were walking out, back in the cold december air.

phil was no longer distressed about the constant events and so, as dan was in the middle of saying something, phil just grabbed his hand, lacing their fingers together and bringing their hands to his mouth, to place a soft kiss against the back of dan's hand.

"what was that for?" dan giggled slightly at phil's sweet gesture and phil just shrugged, cheeks flushing partly from the cool air and partly from embarrassment before he mumbled.

"i just love you,"

--

chapters will be longer now bc wattpad has a freaking limit which says a book can have only 200 parts??? what the hell?????

honestly wattpad pisses me off