61

phil fondly smiled at dan as dan noisily crunched the cereal. it was nice to have some kind of a sound other than his own silent crunching and the television. he fancied having a meal with someone other than sitting alone on the dining table surrounded by empty chairs as you eat your food.

phil still felt bubbly and flustered from the events earlier in the morning where dan admitted he wanted to kiss phil. now that phil had brushed his teeth twice and bathed with his cinnamon shower gel, he was just waiting for the right moment.

"do you think i should call mum?" dan looked up from his breakfast to phil, and phil swallowed before answering.

"i don't know, you should i guess? maybe ask her about your father's reaction or something?" phil suggested and dan nodded hesitantly. dan was hoping phil would say no, so he didn't feel guilty about not calling his parents. but now that phil had suggested he should call them, dan was dreading it.

he knew someday he had to go back to his home, where he would face the fake acceptance of his father, if even he does that, or just handle the physical and mental abuse. the day would when there no longer will be cuddling, sharing a bed and coffee three times a day. he knew that as soon as he stepped out of phil's apartment and phil's presence everything will go back to not being okay.

he didn't want to leave phil.

"earth to dan?" phil waved his pale hand in front of dan's face, ending his trance. phil scrunched his eyebrows at the dazed and pained look on dan's face, trying to figure out what the younger boy could possibly be thinking.

"sorry, got drifted away for a moment," dan apologised half heartedly and pushed a spoonful of cereal in his mouth to prevent himself from answering the inevitable questions phil was going to ask.

"what were you thinking about?" phil asked him, reaching across and placing his hand over dan's. dan could feel the warmth from phil's hand and his heart clenched at the action.

"family, that's all," dan said, unconvincingly but phil didn't ask any more questions. he knew if dan was comfortable talking about it, he would say it, but if he's not, phil wasn't going to pressurise him.

"what are your plans today?" dan asked phil, trying to delay the call with his parents. he really didn't want to face the harsh truth of his mother telling him that his father was waiting for him to come back so that he could slam dan's face into the wall for being attracted to the same sex.

"i will just leave in a few minutes," phil downed his mug of coffee and dan furrowed his eyebrows.

"what? where are you going?" dan pouted, his lower lip sticking out and it took everything in phil to not just lean over and grab it between his teeth.

"i teach students in the drama club, i told you that didn't i?" phil smiled, looking away from dan's mouth to avoid thinking about kissing him.

"yeah, sorry, when will you be back?" dan almost whined. he knew as soon as phil left he will be left alone with his thoughts and he will probably kill himself with the anxiety.

"by three thirty? or four at the max," phil responded and dan stood up from his chair, to hug phil goodbye. he had proposed kissing phil earlier in the morning, and phil had not exactly denied, but dan wasn't that confident to lean in and kiss him right now so he stuck with hugs and cuddles.

"okay, what will i do when you're not here," dan sighed as phil adjusted his fringe and walked towards the door.

"watch television, read books, borrow my laptop, watch movies, do anything you like," phil suggested, feeling bad that he is about to leave dan alone like this. he planned on going by the office today and asking for a week off, his paychecks have been piling up, unused anyway since his electricity and water bill is paid by his parents.

"okay, i'll miss you," dan purposely pouted again, hoping to change phil's mind about leaving but he knew it was no use. he would die of guilt if he made phil miss work just for him, and he hated coming off as needy and whiny.

"i'll miss you too, more than you know," phil smiled at him, and dan leaned in, wrapping his arms around phil's waist and nuzzling his face in phil's neck whereas phil wrapped his arms around dan's shoulders, tilting his head so he could place a kiss on dan's cheek.

"bye," dan called as phil jogged down the stairs and he felt like a housewife standing in the doorway waving his husband goodbye.

"bye baby," phil yelled back, and that made dan's cheeks flush and his heart melt as he shut the door and leaned against it, closing his eyes and sighing out loud.

"damn, this is gonna be hard," he whispered to himself before grabbing his phone and dialling his mother's number.

--
a longer chapter to celebrate 2.5k reads and more than 500 votes! you guys make me so happy ^.^