87

"hey phil, um, it's dan," dan's voice was hoarse and timid, as if he'd been crying and phil could physically feel the pain in his chest.

"i know you probably don't want to talk to me, but i want you to know that i am really sorry. i didn't mean to say any of those things, it's just that when i am sad or anxious i tend to say anything and everything and i am not saying that makes it okay," phil could feel a growing lump in his throat as there was a pause, a deep sigh escaping dan's lips before he continued. "but i really, really, love-"

the audio stops there, the loud screeching of a door opening interrupting dan's sweet voice and phil furrows his eyebrows, concentrating on the shuffling voices coming out of his phone's speaker.

"what are you guys doing here?" dan's voice was loud, but distant and phil was confused.

"look we give you one last chance, agree to go for therapy dan, or else," a deep voice boomed from the corner, and phil's heart was racing. what the hell was happening?

"or else what?" dan had a certain edge to his voice and phil could hear shuffling.

"what the hell! step away right now!" dan's voice was intimidated and tense, and phil wanted to somehow reach out and help dan but there was nothing he could do. he couldn't comprehend what was going on.

"phil!" dan screamed, and phil had his heart in his mouth. "are you listening? please help me phil i-" and the line went dead. the silence was almost deafening as phil sat helplessly on his bed, his mouth parted in shock and his eyes almost watering. what the hell was going on with dan? was he okay? it had been more than twenty days, and he had no idea where dan was and in what condition. he had never felt this hopeless in his life, ever. not knowing what to do, he desperately tried calling dan again, but it was no use. like the other fifty times, it went straight to his voicemail.

phil had absolutely no idea what to do. he didn't have dan's parents' number so he could call and ask. he didn't know how to contact dan, the only ways he did know were turning out to be of no use. phil was anxious and paranoid and scared and angry. why the hell did he not check his voicemail before? why did he not answer dan's calls? why did he let dan go in the first place?

there was an endless paradox of thoughts in phil's mind. endless possibilities of what could have happened, endless mistakes that he made, endless paranoia seeping through his veins wondering where dan was, and hoping that he was okay. in the rush of the moment the only solution that came to phil's mind was to get in his car and drive to dan's home.

and so that's what he did.

he decided to make another four hour drive, straight to where dan lived.

manchester.

--