67

"what are you doing?" was the string of words that left phil's mouth as soon as he woke up and looked at dan frantically folding and re-folding his clothes, keeping them clumsily into his bag.

"mum called last night," dan murmured, not looking at phil. he didn't want to make this any harder, for either of them. he had no idea why his mum called him in the middle of the night asking him to come home urgently. he had no idea why all of a sudden his father had accepted him. he had no idea why his heart was splitting into bare splinters and piercing his insides. he was literally heart broken at the thought of leaving phil this soon, especially when he had no idea when he would see him again. it would be very hard for dan to look at the pixelated picture of phil on his laptop after seeing his raw beauty in real life. it just wasn't acceptable.

"yeah so?" phil's heart was racing, wondering why dan had a certain edge to his voice, why he wasn't looking at phil and why wasn't he in bed with him?

"so i'm going home phil, what else," dan snapped and phil shut his mouth, and leaned back in his bed. he felt like someone had just slapped him. what is wrong with dan? why is he acting this way?

"oh okay," phil muttered, running a hand through his hair and fixing his fringe, just staring at dan. he didn't want dan to leave, he was going to miss him, so much.

"i'm going to miss you," phil said softly and dan rolled his eyes at him. dan was anxious and frustrated. he couldn't control his actions even if he tried to, he had a lot on his plate and he didn't know how to handle it.

"sure you will miss having a depressing, whiny nerd who has been abandoned by his parents," dan spoke sarcastically and phil furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. what?

"where did that come from?"

"leave it phil," dan sighed, harshly grabbing his shirt and folding it messily, shoving the black material inside his bag.

"do you need a ride back?" phil asked, his voice small and timid, as if testing the stormy waters that was now dan.

"no, i can manage myself. honestly what do you think? i am your fucking charity case? what is your problem? you don't need to help me with everything like i'm a fucking disabled child or something," dan had absolutely no coordination between his mind and mouth. at times like this when dan was overwhelmed and sad, he tended to say everything and anything, without realising what impact it had on the other person.

"i was just, never mind," phil sighed, pushing the blankets off him and getting out of bed. he could feel the tears welling up in his eyes but he desperately tried to control them. he didn't want to be vulnerable to anymore insults dan was going to throw. how could dan even misinterpret phil's love for something like a charity case? did dan even love him?

phil sighed heavily, walking out of the room and into the kitchen. he poured himself a bowl of cereal, and sat on the stool, shoving spoonfuls of cereal in his mouth and trying not to think about the inevitable that had happened. what did phil think? a guy like dan would be in love with him? he honestly did think so, but somewhere he knew that this would come to an end. who would want to spend their time with a constantly anxious nerd who hates cheese? that's right, no one.

"i am literally leaving in a few minutes and all you care about is having breakfast," dan rolls his eyes at phil, and phil looks up from his cereal bowl confused. what the hell is wrong with him?

"i-" phil begins, but dan cuts him off by harshly slamming a bowl on the kitchen counter along with the carton of milk.

"even if you are having breakfast, you could atleast pour me some damn milk and cereal as well, it's okay i'll do that myself," dan comments, angrily pouring the milk in his bowl and phil finally snaps.