Chapter 183

As Kevin and Avi walked together to find the bathrooms, Kevin could tell that something was bothering him.

Kevin pushed his shoulder lightly with his own, slowing down a little to do so. "Hey.. Something wrong?"

Avi's face stayed pensive, though he responded after a moment. "Just.. Thinking."

"Hmm. About Alex, I presume?"

Avi looked up at him. "How'd you know? Did he say something?"

"Todrick told me about it. Alex is convinced that you absolutely hate him."

"I don't hate him, that little brat." Avi grumbled.

Kevin chuckled a little, the irony standing out to him. "What happened between you guys?"

"He's just... Too nice. And I don't think it's possible for someone to be like that. Is something wrong with him? Like mentally? Something must be wrong."

Kevin hummed in thought and then shrugged. "Not that I know of. Besides... Jamie, Tony and Travis."

"Those are just excuses."

"Yes. Exactly. Excuses for him to be nicer than a normal person."

"No, that's not what I--" He sighed loudly. "Mitchell is finally starting to act like himself again, and it didn't take Scott long to break through to him. Like.. Within the first few months of their relationship, Mitchell started changing back into who he was before that other pack. So why not Alexander too?"

"He did. I'm sure he acted like himself for a very long time with Travis. But when Travis started showing signs of being abusive, Alex fell back onto what he knew best."

Avi shook his head, still looking around as they walked together. "I don't buy that."

"You also have to consider the fact that Alex was in Jamie's pack for three whole years, whereas Mitch was only there for less than a year. Not to... Downplay Mitch's pain at all, I'm sure it was unimaginably horrible. I just mean... Mitch was still able to remember who he was before he was taken into Jamie's care. Alex was stuck in that abuse for such a long time, I'm sure he doesn't have any idea what he was like before he got there."

Avi stopped speaking for a moment.

"In that way... It was easier for Mitch to adopt his old personality again, whereas Alex still has no remembrance of his true self."

"Y'know... I don't say this very often... But that is really, really sad."

"I know it is. So could you... At least try to be a little nicer? I'm not asking you to treat him like Todrick does, just.. At least show him the respect he deserves."

Avi didn't respond, just pointed at the bathrooms they'd stumbled across. "Found it."

************

One of the Omegas from the neighboring campground wandered over to the Pentatonix campsite, and sat herself down at the table that Todrick and Alex were sitting at.

Alex glanced up, gasped, and tried to stand up.

Todrick grabbed his arm. "What's wrong? Say hi like a normal person, please."

Alex glanced over at the female Beta, and then looked back to Todrick. "I can't." He looked around wildly. "What if Alpha sees me?"

"He won't yell at you for just talking to her."

"He might."

"He won't. Sit down."

Alex sat immediately, and looked down to his lap. "I'm sorry. Don't be upset with me, Toddy. I just don't want to get in trouble."