Chapter 85

Jake, Todrick and Kevin had finally taken off, Alex sulking back to his room to pass out again.

Kirstie watched him go with a smile, and then stood up to follow him.

She scared him by throwing herself into the bed beside him, immediately grabbing him in a hug.

Alex gasped loudly, but then giggled and hugged her back. "Hi, Kit Kat. Can I call you that?"

"You can call me whatever you want, Allie."

"That's very gracious of you, thank you." Alex responded quietly, already falling back asleep.

Kirstie hugged his waist, turning over to hide her face in his chest. "You're welcome."

Alex cleared his throat all of a sudden, eyes closed as he spoke. "You know... I passed that parenting test already."

Kirstie looked up at him with wide eyes. "What? Are you serious?"

Alex nodded with a smile. "Travis made me take it when I had my first Heat with him. He just wanted me to get it out of the way."

Kirstie suddenly frowned. "But that's different. You're like.. The nicest person ever. Of course you passed."

"It has nothing to do with being nice. I mean, Alpha Kaplan passed and he's--" Alex stopped himself, and finally opened his eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry. That was a horrible thing to say."

"No, I see your point. He's working on it though, I promise."

"I know he is. My apologies, again. My point was... I know you can pass. And... If you need any pointers, or if there's anything I can do to help... Please tell me."

"Of course, but... Alex, why didn't you tell me earlier? I mean... The test is today."

"I know that... But I just didn't want to make you feel bad by telling you that I did it."

Kirstie smiled at him, snuggling even closer to his chest. "You're so nice. Sometimes I want to hang out with you, just to be around your kindness, because it makes me so happy."

"That's nice of you to say. Thank you."

Kirstie smiled, reaching one hand down to grab one of Alex's hands. "I know you're going back to bed, but is it okay if I stay in here until I have to leave for the test?"

"Of course it is. You can stay here as long as you'd like."

********

Scott made sure that Mitch ate enough, before carrying him back up the stairs without another word to Avi, who was sitting at the table with coffee and some of Kevin's old research.

Scott laid him down on the bed carefully, Mitch coughing loudly again.

The sound made Scott cringe, just thinking about Mitch being in pain. "Oh honey... Does your stomach hurt?"

"No. Tummy is fine." Mitch answered quietly.

"What do you need right now? Water? More blankets?"

"I need cuddles. Stop running around and just come here."

Scott grinned a little and complied, crawling over to Mitch on the bed, before dropping down and spooning Mitch.

Mitch giggled a little. "You're so nice to me."

Scott squeezed Mitch's tiny body with his arms. "That's because you're adorable, and I love you."

"I love you too."