Chapter 79

Scott carried Mitch from the table, to the couch, so that Mitch could hang out with Alex and Jake since they'd all finished lunch.

Kevin and Kirstie were doing dishes in the kitchen, and Todrick was briefly wiping down the table in the meantime.

Scott snuck down the hall now that no one was paying attention, and went to Avi's room before knocking twice.

Avi took a minute, but finally answered the door, merely a towel around his waist. "Kit, is that--? Oh. What?"

Scott looked down at the towel, and then met Avi's eyes again. "Should I come back?"

"No, it's fine." Avi moved away from the door, sat down on the edge of the bed, and ran his hand through his hair. "What's up?"

Scott closed the door behind him, and then leaned against it. "I... I don't want to initiate an argument, but--"

"You're mad because Kirstie told you I'm mean to her." Avi interrupted.

"Actually..." Scott took a small step forward. "She said you yelled at her. I know that you're the Alpha, and I know that you have power over all of us. But... If Kevin is confident enough to give a speech about how irresponsible we are being with that power..." He trailed off, hoping he wouldn't have to completely ridicule his leader to his face.

Avi raised a eyebrow. "You think I'm being irresponsible?"

"Well, no... I wouldn't say irresponsible. I'd say... You're... You tend to be a little... Um. I don't know. Sometimes kind of egotistical? I don't know."

"Egotistical? Do you even know what that means?"

"You're doing it again. You always talk down to people. That's why they're scared to be around you. That's why I'm here talking to you, and they're not."

Avi blinked at him a few times. "What?"

"You tend to be very demeaning. You talk down to us because your power is greater, and you know it."

"No I don't."

Scott squinted at him a little. "Come on, Avi. Yes you do. Even to me."

Avi's anger suddenly dissolved into a subtle form of sadness. "Do I? I mean.. Do I really?"

"Yeah. You do. You always say like, how dare you speak to me that way, or you ask the Omegas who they think they're talking to you. Kevin said it's called 'imbalance of power'. And it isn't fair. I would never speak to an Omega like that unless I thought my words were benefiting the Omega."

"You're putting me in a bad mood."

"I'm just trying to help you realize what you're doing to your subordinates. You can't scare them into submission."

"That's how I was trained to do it, Scott."

Scott frowned and sat down next to him. "I know... But I'm telling you. We live in a different time now. The Counsel is being reformed, and all of the traditions and training regiments are following right behind it."

********

Back in the living room, Kevin was now sitting on the couch with Todrick under his arm, while Todrick held Kirstie's hand as she sat beside him.

Alex was resting his head on Jake's shoulder, Mitch simply sitting between Alex and Kirstie, all eyes on the television.

Scott eventually walked out of the hallway that lead to some of the bedrooms, but he didn't even look up at the others as he carried on his journey upstairs.

Mitch glanced between the people surrounding him, and then hopped up and followed Scott up the stairs quickly.

Scott figured he would, but either way he wouldn't have minded. He knew he was coming back downstairs to get Mitch anyway.

Mitch ascended the stairs as quickly as he could to catch Scott, but their height difference had Mitch at a disadvantage. Mitch even started running when Scott seemed too far ahead.

Scott flipped around at some point, bending down a little so Mitch could run and then jump into his arms.

Mitch did so eagerly, his smile as wide as could be. He giggled when Scott caught him, and Scott just grinned at him.

Scott carried them across the room, and then set Mitch on his feet when they entered their bedroom.

Scott strode past him, still determined to finish a task, but Mitch snagged his wrist as quickly as he could.

Scott turned, concern written all over his face. "What's the matter, baby?"

"Nothing. But... Kiss me?"

Scott responded by kissing the smaller boy with no hesitation at all.

Mitch let him pull back for barely a second, before he grabbed Scott's neck and forced him into a kiss again.

Scott had only chuckled, and then pulled away for a second time.

Mitch whined and grabbed onto the front of Scott's shirt. "No... Don't go."

"Just let me do something real quick, and then I promise I'm all yours."

"Pi--?"

"Pinky promise, Sweetheart." Scott interrupted, making Mitch grin widely.

********

Avi had gotten dressed, and then plopped himself down on the couch beside Kirstie, only to hug her to the best of his ability.

Kirstie leaned into him. "Is everything okay?" She spoke softly, as to not embarrass him.

Avi nodded, pulling his wife even closer to his body. "Yes... I guess I just... I want to apologize."

"There's no need to do that. I forgive you already."

"No, it's just... You're my everything, Kitten. My whole life's purpose. My happiness.... And there's no reason for me to treat you as poorly as I do."

Kirstie met his eyes and frowned. "I forgive you. I understand how demanding your job can be. And I respect you, in every way imaginable."

"I know that. That isn't my point. I just... I know that I don't treat you correctly. And I'll fix it, I swear. Just know that I love you, and I'm working on it."

She grinned, and then hugged him tightly, hardly even remembering that the others were in the room. "I'm going with Kevin to take the test tomorrow. And then... Maybe Grace will help you keep your anger in check too."

"I'm sure she will, Princess. Thank you. But... Please know that I won't be upset with you if you don't pass."

"I'll pass. Don't worry."

"I'm not worried, I'm just saying."

Kirstie smiled, confident in herself this time around. "Okay. Thanks anyway."

********

Scott finally walked out of the bathroom, scooped Mitch off of his feet, and then laid himself down on the bed with Mitch still in his arms.

Mitch giggled and cuddled up to his chest with a grin. "You're an animal."

"Technically, yeah." Scott replied offhandedly.

Mitch giggled again, resting his hands on Scott's torso, while Scott wrapped one of his arms around Mitch's waist, his arm between Mitch's hip and the bed.

Scott reached his other hand up, holding both of Mitch's hands in one of his own and pressing Mitch's palms against his own chest. "Aw, honey... Your hands are freezing."

"I know. Yours are super warm though."

Scott smiled and nodded in a friendly way, and then leaned forward and pecked Mitch's forehead.

Mitch found himself even closer to Scott, warmer than before. "I love you." He mumbled.

"I love you too, my sweet little angel."

**********