Chapter 13

HAPPY M.L.K. JR. DAY!!!!

I do believe a double update is in order. Love y'all :*

*********

Mitch looked over at Alex, who was staring at him for an answer.

Mitch sighed and looked down at his hands, slumping a little in his seat. "I don't know... I just.. Felt safer when Alex was married. Because I knew he wouldn't be able to take my Alpha from me. But now he isn't, and... Who wouldn't want this big doof as an Alpha?"

Kirstie giggled. "Good point."

Avi glared at her. "What exactly are you implying?"

"Nothing... Just that--"

Alex turned to Mitch. "You must know that I would never want to take your source of happiness away from you."

Mitch glared at him. "Just because you don't want to doesn't mean you won't."

Scott sighed, turning to Jake. "How did we end up in this mess?"

"Well for starters, your Omega was rude to mine right to his face."

Scott tilted his head a little in offence. "Don't you dare speak ill of him when he is sitting less than a foot away."

"What difference does it make?"

Alex's eyes were wide, as he stared at Mitch. "I'm not that bad of a person. I can't believe you think I would do that to you."

Kirstie looked desperate now, as Avi stood angrily before her. "I didn't mean to offend you, Alpha. I was only stating that--"

Kevin finally stood from the couch. "Enough!"

Even Avi jumped at the sudden outburst of his usually calm Beta.

Kevin looked around at every pair of eyes. "This is ridiculous. Avriel, Kirstie was simply making a joke. She has been to Hell and back these past two days, so why don't you give it a rest? Kirstie, you know how on edge he is since he's come home. You know this better than anyone. So don't make jokes that you know are going to agitate him."

Kirstie nodded quickly. "Yes, Sir. I'm sorry."

Kevin turned to the other couch. "Where do I even begin? Mitch, stop being rude. Just.. Stop it. You know better than to be mean to Alex of all people. He is by far the most sensitive person in this entire pack, and all he wants to do is be your friend again. Scott, stop letting your Omega get away with things, and then get shocked when he acts like this."

Mitch frowned. "But I--"

"Save it. Jake, I know you're new to this Alpha stuff, but the way to rise to the top is not to step on everyone's toes that dare to say something about your Omega. And Alex. For the love of God. Stand up for yourself."

Alex nodded too, with much resemblance to Kirstie. "Of course, Sir. My sincerest apologies."

Kevin even turned around to face Todrick. "You can't always be there for him. I know that's hard to deal with. Jake is making a place in Alex's heart, and there is nothing you can do to stop him. He isn't like Travis. It's going to be different this time. You just have to trust me."

"But how do I know that he won't--?"

"You already have this image in your head of Jake turning out like Travis. And that is so beyond unfair.. And somewhere, deep down, you know that. You can't keep waiting for Alex to ask you to save him, because you know he won't ask. Give Jake a chance. He will protect Alex. I swear."

Kevin looked around at all of them, as they were waiting for him to say something else, and then he walked down the hall.

Avi just stared at him. "I think we broke him."

Kevin, unfortunately, heard him. He turned back around. "You guys broke yourselves. I was just trying to help. But I'm not going to sit there and listen to you argue, when there are more important things we could all be doing."

Avi gave him a single nod. "That's fair. I'm sorry, Beta."

Kevin just stared at him, responding after a moment. "Can you please send Scott down the hall? I'm going to work on his shoulder, because I know the stress is probably making it worse."

Avi met Scott's eyes and then tipped his head towards the hallway for a second.

Scott quickly stood from the couch, gently touching Mitch's thigh for a moment before he left.

Mitch watched him leave and frowned. He hadn't even considered how the stress might be affecting Scott's shoulder. Thank God for Kevin...

Alex looked at Mitch, speaking quietly. "I'm very sorry, Mitchie. I just wanted to be your friend again..."

Mitch glanced over at him. "I'm sorry too... And I'm very sorry Alpha Jake... I didn't mean to upset you. I was just... Angry."

Todrick stood from the couch, and looked directly at Mitch. "Listen. I understand that I am overprotective of him. And I understand he does not belong to me in any sense of the word. But I also understand that he has been through a lot. And thus, I understand that he does not need your rude words to add to his unhappiness."

Alex blushed a little. "Toddy... I'm really... I'm okay. I'm not unhappy."

Todrick only glanced at him for a moment, before looking back to Mitch. "I thought you were his friend. See, Mitch... I'm not trying to be mean. I'm really, really not. But it just hurts me to see you treat him so poorly... When you're the one who was in that other pack with him. You're the one that had to watch him suffer."

Mitch frowned, and then jumped out of his seat, tears in his eyes. "I know I did! I know that Tony was rougher with him, because he's bigger. And he wasn't able to get pregnant, so they were meaner to him. I know this. But I also know that when we got out of there, he fell in love, got married and turned into this really nice person. One that everyone thinks is amazing, and it isn't fair!"

"Fair?" Todrick asked quietly.

"It isn't fair that he got to be super hot, and nice at the same time! He was abused and then he was just... Better. And I wasn't."

Alex leaned forward to grab his arm. "Mitchie, that isn't true."

"Yes it is." He pulled his arm away. "Don't touch me."

Alex stood up and hugged him, not letting Mitch pry his arms away. "Allie, let go--"

"No." Alex responded confidently, holding Mitch tighter.

Mitch whined and finally pushed on Alex's chest hard enough to shove him away.

Alex flinched away, eyes wide, tears building in the corners of his eyes. "You.. You really don't want to be my friend anymore...?"

Mitch blinked a few times, immediately feeling bad. "No, I-- I didn't mean that."

Alex's shoulders sagged, as he basically collapsed in on himself. "No one has ever..." He stopped, and his bottom lip trembled.

Mitch quickly walked forward and hugged him, wrapping his arms around Alex's entire torso, including his arms, which meant he couldn't hug back.

Alex stared down at him sadly, some of his tears falling down into Mitch's hair. "You don't have to pity me."

Mitch squeezed him a little more. "No. I'm not pitying you. I just love you. A lot."

"Really?"

"I'm sorry we even had to have this discussion... Of course I love you. You saved my life, Alex."

Avi stared at them and sighed when they finally stopped talking. "Thank G--"

His sentence was interrupted with a loud shout.

Avi looked down the hall and groaned. "Jesus Christ. What now?"

**********