Chapter 88

Alex was in tears as he spoke on the phone with Jake, hoping Jake could calm him down.

Mitch was so tired that he didn't wake up throughout the entire loud phone call.

Scott felt terrible though. Kirstie was so excited, and Avi was trying to give her as much credit as possible, although he was gravely concerned for Alex and Mitch. And as much as Scott wanted to help, he was equally concerned.

Alex couldn't have stopped crying if he tried. Jake did his best to calm him down, as did Todrick, but both attempts came up empty.

Alex finally had to just hang up, because he couldn't speak correctly anyway.

Mitch sat up after a few minutes of Alex's sobs, and just stared at him.

Alex covered his mouth in an effort to quiet himself, but all it did was make him breathe loudly. "I'm s-sorry..."

Mitch frowned and opened his arms toward Alex.

Alex, at first, didn't know how to react. But finally his lip trembled, and he threw himself into Mitch's arms with a loud sob.

Mitch was still on Scott's lap, making the hug a little awkward, but it's the thought that counts. Mitch rubbed his back for a few minutes. "Don't cry, Allie... He isn't worth your time."

Alex sniffled, holding Mitch tight as he whispered to him. "I loved him so much..."

"But now you don't. Now you have Jake. And Jake is much better for you than Travis."

"You don't understand, Mitchie. Travis saved my life. And... He was so nice. He's the one that taught me to be as polite as you all say I am."

"But then he threw you into a wall, and dumped you without a thought. Things change." Mitch responded cold heartedly.

Scott frowned at him. "Mitchie... Don't say that."

"I'm not trying to be rude. I'm really not. But it's true. Travis, as good as he might've been, changed. People change sometimes. I'm sorry that he isn't who you fell in love with anymore, but that's just how it is sometimes."

Alex leaned away from him, wiping one of his eyes. "How can you say that? People don't just change overnight." He paused, and his face became even more sad, if it was even possible. "Are you trying to tell me that this is all my fault? The divorce was my fault?"

"No, of course not. I'm just saying... I know he didn't change overnight. But he changed. And as hard as that might be for you to accept, you let it happen. You probably didn't even notice that it was happening, because you loved him anyway. And you refused to believe that anything was wrong, because your love blinded you."

Alex's shoulders sagged. "Okay..."

Mitch reached towards him and grabbed one of his hands. "I'm sorry, Allie. You didn't deserve any of the stuff he put you through."

"It's not your fault." Alex responded offhandedly, staring at their intertwined hands.

Kirstie turned in her seat to frown at Alex, her heart heavy in sympathy for him.

Alex's eyes widened. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be attention seeking. Congratulations, Kit! That's so awesome. I know how hard you've been working on that."

Kirstie shook her head, reaching across the car to hold his other hand. "No, that's not what I--" She sighed, frowning at him. "Listen... I'm so sorry about Travis. You deserve so much better than that. And... My Alpha and I have agreed not to get Grace back until tomorrow. Because I want to be sure that you're okay, before we bring another cute, little baby into the house."