Chapter 29

Avi stood up to growl, yet again, but this time Scott pushed him down onto the couch.

Scott shook his head and sighed, various spots on his skin beginning to hurt. "Just... What the fuck, Avi? Why are you acting like this?"

Avi looked down at his hands in his lap. "I dunno..."

"Yes you do. Tell me."

"Because... I feel better about myself when I hurt you. When I yell at you... When I'm an asshole to you, I feel more.. Like your Lead."

'Drunk Avi' is 'brutally honest Avi.' "Why?"

"Because... Hurting you reminds me that I'm still in charge. No matter how strong you get, I'm still your superior..."

Kevin shook his head slowly. "Well... At least you're being honest."

Avi sighed and looked across the room toward the door. "Why don't you guys just get out of here? I'll come back down when I can control myself."

Kevin scooted over hesitantly. "It isn't your fault, Alpha. I know that it's just your raw instinct. I won't leave you up here by yourself."

"Yes you will. That's an order, Beta. Leave." Although his words suggest anger, the only emotion Kevin could detect in his statement was defeat.

Kevin stood to leave, not wanting to disobey, but his heart grew heavier with every step he took.

Scott didn't move though. He just stared at Avi, still on the couch. "Don't bother asking me to leave, because I'm not going anywhere."

Avi sighed, setting his head in his hands, and spoke after nearly an entire minute of silence. "You're lucky, Scott."

Scott walked over and sat next to him slowly. "Why do you say that?"

"You're not like me. Must be nice."

"You're not making any sense..." Scott replied quietly.

"You're kind, you're attractive... You don't have a bad temper. You're the strongest Alpha in the world. No one is ever mad at you. Except Mitchell, who doesn't ever have a really good reason for it. You don't get this aggressive when you're drunk... Do I have to continue?"

"I'd rather you didn't. Just... Can I ask? Why exactly are you an aggressive drunk?"

"It's like... Alcohol makes the human part of me fade, and it's like the only thing left is the Alpha inside me. And... That can be terrifying... I really do try my best not to let the Alpha out, but sometimes I don't have a choice."

Scott just stared at him, trying to comprehend all of it. "Oh..?"

Avi chuckled humorlessly. "Just get out of here, Scott."

"Yes, Sir." Came his instinctual response.

Scott stood to leave, but he stopped, back turned, hand hovering above the doorknob. "Avi, I don't ever want you to feel threatened by me. I would never, ever, try to take your job from you. I know that you're my superior, and I would never want to take that power away from you, because... I trust you. With everything I have."

Avi didn't look over, but he heard him loud and clear.

Scott then left, his words hanging in the air behind him.

*********

As Scott finally descended the stairs, the others were all staring at him from where they were all huddled on the couch, a movie playing before them.