Chapter Sixty Two

~ Chapter Sixty Two: The Wedding ~

•••••••••••••••

December 24, 1402

          Many people showed up at the wedding of Frodo Baggins and Esmeralda West, including those whom were not invited. Lobelia and Otho Sackvill-Baggins were a couple people in that category. Although Frodo was given distasteful stares by a few of the guests, his eyes shown bright in anticipation as he stood by Sam at the alter. He glanced around at the crowd, and met Merry and Pippin's eyes, they gave him a thumbs up and a wink, and Frodo smiled at them. Suddenly, the crowd's whispers stopped when their eyes landed on the stunning Hobbit walking down the aisle. Esmeralda wore a pretty, but simple white dress, and her hair was in a elegant bun with curly strands of hair framing her face.

Frodo's face lit up as he saw his beautiful bride to be walking towards him. She looked up and smiled, just as soft snowflakes began to drop onto the already snow-covered ground. When she made it by his side, everyone in the group, including the Sackvill-Bagginses, couldn't deny the love that radiated off of their faces.

When the priest started talking, the couple couldn't concentrate on the words that were spoken. The only thing on their mind was each other, and how excited they were to start their new life together. Finally, they heard the words they were waiting for.

"You may kiss the bride."

They smiled as they leaned in, and gave each other a loving kiss. Cheers and clapping broke them apart, and they turned and smiled at the group. Merry, Pippin and Sam were the loudest, using their fingers to whistle, and clapping their hands over their heads. They laughed with them, enjoying that beautiful moment.

          Merry drove the newly wedded to Bag End in his carriage. Once they reached their destination, Frodo and Esmeralda climbed out, and looked up at their friend.

"Thank you, Merry." Frodo said.

Merry smiled. "No problem. You two have a nice night!"

Esmeralda blushed as Merry winked at them, before riding away, whistling a tune.

They couple made eye contact, before Frodo suddenly swept her off of her feet, and began to carry her up their walkway. She laughed, and wrapped her arms around his neck. She kissed him, before Frodo opened the door and entered Bag End. He dropped her back on her feet, before starting to kiss her. She smirked, before leading him to their bedroom.

           When the couple awoke the next morning, they laid in each other's arms. Esmeralda looked up at him, then pecked his jaw.

"It feels so good to finally be married." She said, before sleepily resting her head back on his chest.

"It does." Frodo mumbled, holding her body closer.

They stayed in that bed for half the day, enjoying the warm embrace of each other. When they finally got out, they had their first meal as husband and wife together. The couple was so excited to share their long lives together, and was ready to tackle the world.

           After a few months, Esmeralda noticed that Frodo's night terrors was a pretty common thing. They would happen around four times a week. Whenever Frodo sat on the edge of the bed, shaking and crying, she was always there to hold him and comfort him. Just like how Frodo was always there to take care of Esmeralda, whenever she caught the cold, which was pretty often. She had always had a weak immune system, so she got sick a lot more then other people. It was all a part of being together, 'in sickness and in health'. Although, as months passed, the night terrors slowly decreased. They were still there, but they weren't as common. This brought them some relief, and Frodo no longer feared falling asleep as much. Although, sometimes, Frodo gets searing pains through his abdomen and chest from his scars. The pains go as quick as they come, and they're doesn't seem to be a pattern with them. They've just come to accept that the wounds will never truly heal.

The couple still went out to have picnics and explore the Shire, just like they did years ago. The only thing that was different was their energy. They no longer had the will to run around and chase each other, because the weight of the things they witnessed will always weigh them down. They usually walk hand in hand, talking about this and that, as they explore the woods. They knew that they were going to continue their lives with each other for a long time.