Chapter Fifty Nine

~ Chapter Fifty Nine: Cursed Dreams ~

•••••••••••••••

Esmeralda laid in her bed, tossing and turning all night long. It felt so strange being back home and sleeping in a bed, instead of on the ground. She sat up, and wiped sweat from her forehead. Although knowing it was two or three in the morning, she got out of bed and walked out of her room in only her nightdress. She pondered on what to do, before deciding on giving Frodo a little visit.

She walked out of her house, then went over to Bag End. She snuck around the back, then opened Frodo's widow. Luckily, he didn't have it locked. She hoisted herself up, then quickly jumped inside.

Frodo was in bed, tossing and turning as well, but he was asleep. She listened, as he started to talk.

"No... Smeagol... the precious is mine!"

She listened in horror, as his mumbles turned louder.

"It's mine! Give it to me!"

Esmeralda slowly walked over, and tried to shake him awake.

"Frodo?"

Suddenly, Frodo grabbed the front of her nightdress, and held it tightly in his fist. She gasped, as he sat up, and faced her with lifeless eyes.

"Give it to me!" Frodo yelled.

"I don't have it, Frodo!" She yelled back, with tears stinging her eyes.

She grabbed his wrist, and tried to pull it off of her clothing. Suddenly, Frodo's eyes frantically shot around the room, before landing on Esmeralda's terrified face, illuminated by the bright moonlight. A tear slipped down her cheek, as Frodo let her go, and stumbled back onto his bed.

"What are you doing here?" He whispered, catching his breath.

Esmeralda bashfully rubbed her arm, as she stood quietly. "I... I couldn't sleep. I came through your window to see if you were awake, but you were tossin' and callin' out. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come."

She started to leave, but Frodo's quiet voice stopped her. "You're right. You shouldn't have come. I could've hurt you." He buried his head in his hands.

She listened as he let out quiet sobs, and she slowly moved towards him. She sat on the bed, then pulled him into her embrace.

"Why?" Frodo whispered. "Why does the night haunt me with these dreams? I thought I would be free when we destroyed the Ring, Esmeralda."

"I thought so too, Frodo." She whispered.

They held each other for a while, until Frodo got his thoughts together. He sniffled, then slowly held go.

"I'm sorry." He whispered in shame, bowing his head.

Esmeralda worriedly looked at him, and brushed hair out of his eyes.

"It's alright." She rubbed his arm. "Do you want some tea?"

He looked at her. For some, it sounded like a ridiculous question to ask after sneaking into someone's house at three AM, but for Frodo and Esmeralda, it was a perfectly normal question to ask, considering all what they had been through.

He bashfully nodded. "That sounds nice."

She warmly smiled, before standing up, and taking one of Frodo's lit lamps. She walked out of his room, and Frodo stood, buttoning up his shirt. He walked out a minute later, holding a lit candlestick, which he used to light other candles around the house. When he reached the kitchen, he saw that Esmeralda's back was turned, watching the kettle. A sudden emotion shot through his body, after seeing Esmeralda in his kitchen, making a beverage for him, wearing her nightdress. Somehow, he knew this wasn't the last time he would see this sight.