Chapter Nine

~ Chapter Nine: Parting From the Ring ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Bilbo vanishes, and the party explodes into an uproar, leaping to their feet. Frodo and Esmeralda stare at the empty stage in disbelief, as other people begin to form a search party.

Fifty yards away, the front door of Bag End opens by an invisible hand. The door quietly closes, when suddenly, Bilbo materializes as he pulls a plain gold ring off his finger. He laughs as he tosses the Ring in the air, then places it in his pocket. Bilbo walks to the living room, carrying a walking stick.

When he finds Gandalf looming over him, he jumps in surprise. "I suppose you think that was terribly clever?"

"Come on, Gandalf! Did you see their faces?"

"There are many magic rings in this world, Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly.

"It was just a bit of fun!" Gandalf glares at him. "Oh, you're probably right. As usual."

Bilbo starts packing his bags, then turns to the Wizard. "You will keep an eye on Frodo, won't you?"

"Two eyes. As often as I can spare them."

"I'm leaving everything to him."

"What about this Ring of yours? Is that staying too?"

"Yes, yes, it's in an envelope over there on the mantelpiece."

Before Gandalf checks the envelope, Bilbo suddenly feels his waistcoat with a look of guilty surprise.

"No, wait, it's here in my pocket. Isn't that, isn't that odd now? Yet, after all, why not? Why shouldn't I keep it?"

"I think you should leave the Ring behind, Bilbo. Is that so hard?"

"Well, no... and yes. Now it comes to it, I don't feel like parting with it." Bilbo's tone becomes angry. "It's mine. I found it. It came to me!"

"There's no need to get angry."

"Well, if I'm angry, it's your fault! It's mine, my own, my precious."

"Precious?" Gandalf says suspiciously, "It's been called that before, but not by you."

"So? What business is it of yours what I do with my own things?"

The Wizard looks down on his friend worriedly. "I think you've had that Ring quite long enough."

"You want it for yourself!"

Gandalf rises to his full height, his eyes flash, and the atmosphere of the room darkens dramatically.

"Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks!"

Bilbo cowers from Gandalf, frightened by his power.

"I am not trying to rob you. I am trying to help you."

His voice was more gentle, as Bilbo runs to him, engulfing him in a hug.

"All you long years we've been friends. Trust me as you once did. Let it go!"

"You're right, Gandalf. The Ring must go to Frodo."

Bilbo lets go of Gandalf, then lifts his knapsack and heads for the front door.

"It's late, the road is long. Yes, it is time."

"Bilbo?"

"Hmm?"