Chapter Forty Eight

~ Chapter Forty Eight: King of Gondor ~

••••••••••••••

Aragorn and Théoden ride ahead of the army, into camp.

"Make way for the King!" One of the soldiers yell. "Make way, the King is here!"

"Hail to you, sire!" A soldier yells, and Théoden waves.

"Grimbold, how many?" Théoden asks as he rides past a man.

"I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my lord."

"We have three hundred more from Fenmarch, Théoden King." Another man says.

"Where are the riders from Snowbourn?" Théoden asks.

"None have come, my lord."

Later, Aragorn and Théoden look down on the armies from their high encampment. 

"Six thousand spears, less than half of what I had hoped for." Théoden whispers.

"Six thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor." Aragorn says, sadly.

"More will come." Théoden starts to walk away.

"Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat." He looks at Théoden. "We have until dawn, then we must ride."

Théoden nods his head in agreement., before a neighing horse attracts his attention. They both turn and notice how much difficulty the men have in calming down the horses. Legolas and Gimli walk amongst them, and they meet Éomer who is saddling his horse. 

"The horses are restless, and the men are quiet." Legolas says, softly.

"They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain." He replies.

"That road there, where does that lead?" Gimli asks, nodding his head toward the ground.

"It is the road to the Dimholt, the door under the mountain." Legolas explains.

"None who venture there ever return." Éomer says. "That mountain is evil."

He walks away, and they watch as a man struggles to calm down a frightened horse. Aragorn stares at the pathway, looking worried.

"Aragorn!" Gimli yells, making Aragorn jump and turns around. "Let's find some food."

Aragorn looks again, before following Gimli.

Meanwhile, Éowyn and Merry are in a tent.

"There." She says. "A true esquire of Rohan."

Merry feels his new helmet, then grins

Merry feels his new helmet, then grins. He suddenly draws his sword, almost hitting Éowyn.

"I'm ready!"