Chapter Forty

~ Chapter Forty: Gollum's Scheme ~

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Uruk Hai are fleeing from Helms Deep, and Théoden, Gandalf, Aragorn, and Legolas ride after them. They run to where a forest of trees has suddenly appeared, as Éomer rides out in front of the men.

"Stay out of the forest!" He yells. "Keep away from the trees!"

They stand and watch as the Uruk Hai flee into the trees. The trees begin to move, and screams are heard as the trees kill them.

Back in Helms Deep, Aragorn walks up to Éowyn. She is very pleased to see him, as she holds his face and hugs him.

Later, the men are piling up the dead Uruk Hai. Gimli sits on one, as he smokes his pipe.

"Final count..." Legolas says to Gimli, while stoking his bow, "Forty-two."

"Forty-two?" Gimli says sneakily, raising his eyebrows. "That's not bad for a pointy-eared Elvish princeling. I myself, am sitting pretty on forty-three."

Legolas swiftly draws an arrow and shoots it between Gimli's legs at the Uruk he's sitting on.

"Forty-three." Legolas smirks.

"He was already dead."

"He was twitching."

"He was twitching... because he's got my axe embedded in his nervous system!"

Gimli grabs his axe which is embedded in the Uruks head, and moves it so that it moves too

Merry, Pippin and Sam are standing in the water, looking up at Isengard. Saruman is with Grima, looking out on the devastation below. Suddenly, Sam notices Treebeard looking around in the wreckage.

"Guys, I'm going to see if Treebeard is alright. He looks a little sad."

"Alright, Sam." Merry says, as his friend waddles away.

After a moment, he looks up at Saruman and Grima.

"He doesn't look too happy, does he?" Merry states.

"Who? Sam?" Pippin asks.

"No. Saruman."

Pippin looks up, and snorts back a laugh.

"No. Not too happy at all, Merry."

"Still, I suppose the view would be quite nice from up there."