Chapter Forty Seven

~ Chapter Forty Seven: The Parting of Esmeralda and Frodo ~

••••••••••••••••

Pippin is sitting on a bench, in his full Guard of the Citadel uniform. His feet dangle, as the bench is too high for him.

"What were you thinking Peregrin Took?" He asks himself. "What service can a Hobbit offer such a great lord of men?"

"It was well done." Faramir says, approaching through a door. "A generous deed should not be checked with cold counsel." Pippin jumps up, and Faramir walks towards him. "You are to join the tower guard."

"I didn't think they would find any livery that would fit me." Pippin says, looking down at his clothes.

"It once belonged to a young boy of the city. A very foolish one, who wasted many hours slaying dragons instead of attending his studies."

Pippin smiles. "This was yours?"

"Yes, it was mine. My father had it made for me." Faramir reaches out and adjusts Pippin's tunic.

"Well, I'm taller than you were then. Though, I'm not likely to grow anymore, except sideways."

They laugh.

"It never fitted me either. Boromir was always the soldier." Faramir's smile fades. "They were so alike, he and my father. Proud, stubborn even, but strong."

"I think you have strength of a different kind." Pippin says. "And one day your father will see it."

Faramir smiles again.

Later, Pippin is on his knees before the Steward's chair. Faramir stands and watches from a distance.

"Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor in peace or war, in living or dying, from..." Pippin hesitates, "...from this hour henceforth until my lord release me, or death take me."

"And I shall not forget it!" Denethor says, standing and approaching Pippin. "Nor fail to reward that which is given."

He holds out his hand in front of Pippin, and he hesitates before giving the ring a kiss. Denethor lifts Pippin's face by the chin.

"Fealty with love." He walks over to a table. "Valor with honor. Disloyalty with vengeance." He turns and looks at Faramir, and sits at the table, helping himself to food. "I do not think we should so lightly abandon the outer defences. Defenses that your brother long held intact."

"What would you have me do?" Faramir asks.

"I will not yield the River and Pellenor unfought. Osgiliath must be retaken."

"My lord, Osgiliath is overrun."

"Much must be risked in war. Is there a Captain here, who still has the courage to do his lord's will?"

Pippin looks at Denethor in shock.

"You wish now that our places had been exchanged." Faramir whispers. "That I had died, and Boromir had lived."

"Yes, I wish that." Denethor drinks from a goblet.

" Denethor drinks from a goblet