Chapter Forty Five

~ Chapter Forty Five: Lighting of the Beacons ~

••••••••••••••••

              Gandalf and Pippin rush through the streets of Minas Tirith, trying not to be seen.

"Peregrin Took, my lad, there is a task now to be done. Another opportunity for one of the Shire folk to prove their great worth." He leads Pippin to the base of a great watch tower, and puts his hand on his shoulder. "You must not fail me."

Pippin nods, then runs over to the cliff face and begins to climb up to the beacon.

               At the river in Osgiliath, Soldiers are cooking, sharpening their swords, and keeping a look-out. Faramir walks through the ruined buildings with another man, eyeing the area.

"It's been very quiet across the river." Faramir says.

"The Orcs are lying low." Madril says. "The garrison may have moved out. We've sent scouts to Cair Andros. If the Orcs attack from the North, we'll have some warning."

Meanwhile, Orcs are silently rowing through the river.

"Quiet." Gothmog whispers.

Back with the soldiers, they continue to look around.

"We need ten more." One says.

Suddenly, a soldier spots the Orcs on the river.

"Kill him." Gothmog says.

An Orc fires an arrow at the soldier, who falls down backwards amongst the rest. Faramir and Madril hear the fall, and run towards the noise. Faramir sees the dead soldier, with the Orc arrow sticking out of him, and quickly turns around.

"They're not coming from the North! To the river! Quick, quick!"

Meanwhile, Gothmog looks at the Orcs.

"Faster!"

They Orcs row much faster, and they arrive at Osgiliath, just as the soldiers are there to meet them.

"Draw swords."

The Orcs begin to disembark from their boats, whilst the men wait behind the pillars. After a moment, they jump out and engage the Orcs.The fighting is fierce, but the men are badly outnumbered. More and more Orcs pour into Osgiliath.

               Back in Minas Tirith, Pippin has arrived at the top of the cliff. He starts to climb the beacon, as Gandalf watches from below. Pippin tries to reach a burning lamp, so he grabs an oil container to help him reach. The rope breaks, and the oil pours down on the dry straw. Finally, Pippin grabs the lamp, and drops it on the beacon. He watches in satisfaction as it begins to burn, then suddenly realizes his danger. He quickly begins to climb down, being free from sight. Suddenly, one of the soldiers that was on guard notices.

"What?"

He moves towards the fire in astonishment, watching it burn.

Gandalf smiles when he sees it, then runs out over a parapet and looks out into the distance.

"Amon Dûn."

He watches as a beacon blazes forth on the distant mountains.

"The beacon!" A soldier cries. "The beacon of Amon Dûn is lit!"

Gandalf laughs, pleased, as Denethor sees through a window, and retreats looking very angry.

"Hope is kindled!" Gandalf says.

The beacons are lit all across the mountains, until finally one, that can be seen by Aragorn in Edoras, goes up in flames.

              Aragorn spots the beacon alight, and runs into the Great Hall. He bursts through the door shouting, "The beacons of Minas Tirith! The beacons are lit!"

Théoden and his generals turn to him.

"Gondor calls for aid." Aragorn finishes.

There is a hesitation, before Théoden speaks.

"And Rohan will answer! Muster the Rohirrim."

Éomer bows to him and leaves, and moments later, the bell rings out to gather the Rohirrim.

Now dressed in full armor, Théoden leaves the hall in a hurry.

Assemble the army at Dunharrow, as many men as can be found." He says to Éomer, who has returned. "You have two days." He grabs his shoulder. "On the third, we ride for Gondor, and war."

Éomer nods, and leaves.

"Forward!" He yells.

"Very good sir." A soldier says.

"Gamling!" Théoden calls.

"My lord!"

Théoden walks over to him, and looks him in the eye.

"Make haste across the Riddermark. Summon every able-bodied man to Dunharrow."

"I will." He walks away, as Théoden watches over the mustering of the men.

Meanwhile, Aragorn and Éowyn are both tending to their horses.

"Do you ride with us?" Aragorn asks.

"Just to the encampment." She answers. "It's tradition for the women of the court to farewell the men. "

Aragorn moves a blanket on her horse, to reveal Éowyn's sword. She snatches it down over it, and looks at him.

"The men have found their captain." She says. "They will follow you into battle. Even to death. You have given us hope."

She smiles at him, and Aragorn turns away uneasily.

Later, Merry is holding his sword out in both hands.

"Excuse me!" He says to Théoden, who turns to him. "I have a sword. Please accept it!" Merry kneels. "I offer you my service, Théoden King."

Théoden moves over to him, and raises him up.

"And gladly, I accept it. You shall be Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan."

Merry smiles gleefully, and turns away.

Meanwhile, Legolas and Gimli are once more on a horse together.

"Horse men!" Gimli spat. "I wish I could muster an army of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy."

"Your kinsmen may have no need to ride to war." Legolas says, softly. "I fear war already marches on their own lands."

             The soldiers are getting ready to leave, and Merry is trying to get his small horse to move. Théoden sits on his horse, watching the standard fly in the breeze.

"So, it is before the walls of Minas Tirith the doom of our time will be decided." He whispers to himself.

Aragorn mounts his horse, as Éomer shouts at the soldiers. "Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan! Oaths you have taken! Now fulfill them all, to Lord and Land!"

The Riders gallop from Edoras, and Merry gallops along with them too, alongside Sam.