Chapter Thirty One

~ Chapter Thirty One: Another Way ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

          Merry, Sam and Pippin are sitting in Treebeard's branches, as he walks through the forest.

"O rowen mine, I saw you shine, upon a summer's day, upon your head, how golden-red, the crown you bore aloft."

Merry and Sam yawn.

"Such a beautiful verse."

"ls it much further?" Merry asks, feeling bored.

"Bru-ra-hroom. Don't be hasty. You might call it far, perhaps. My home lies deep in the forest, near the roots of the mountain. I told Gandalf I would keep you safe. And safe is where I'll keep you. I believe you will enjoy this next one too."

Pippin starts to close his eyes, after looking over at Sam who had fallen asleep.

"It's one of my own compositions. Right. Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves, and the dreams of trees unfold, when woodland halls are green and cool, and the wind is in the west. Come back to me, come back to me, and say my land is best."

Treebeard looks down and sees that the Hobbits are fast asleep. He gently places them on the soft ground.

"Sleep, little Shirelings. Heed no nightly noise. Sleep till morning light. I have business in the forest. There are many to call. Many that must come. The Shadow lies on Fangorn. The withering of all woods is drawing near."

Treebeard walks away.

It is night and Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are resting by a camp fire. Gandalf is looking towards the east, as Aragorn moves to join him.

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the east takes shape." Gandalf says to his friend. "Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-dur, his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him. The heir of Numenor still lives."

Gandalf turns his head to Aragorn.

"Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of Men. He will use his puppet Saruman to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself, and therein lies our first challenge, for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The king's mind is enslaved, it's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose. But for all their cunning, we have one advantage. The Ring remains hidden. And that we should seek to destroy it, has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor, in the hands of a Hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends upon speed, and the secrecy of his quest."

Aragorn looks worried and guilty, averting his eyes from the Wizard.

"Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone."

"He's not alone." Aragorn says softy. "Esmeralda went with him."

Gandalf smiles.

"Did she? Did she, indeed? Yes, very good."

Frodo and Esmeralda follow Gollum to the edge of a rock, which overlooks Morannon.