Chapter Fifty Seven

~ Chapter Fifty Seven: At the End of All Things

••••••••••••••••

Gandalf and everyone else continues to fight the Orcs. They hear a scream from the Ringwraiths, and Gandalf stops to look up at one who is closing in on him. Then, the Wizard sees a moth flying around him, and looks up to see a huge eagle intercept the Ringwraith's flying beast and drag it off.

"The Eagles!" Pippin yells. "The Eagles are coming!"

         Esmeralda watches as Frodo makes the last run to the door

Esmeralda watches as Frodo makes the last run to the door. He goes in, and she follows and walks along the pathway into Mount Doom.

"Frodo!" She calls, with her vision blurry from the smoke.

Frodo stands on the edge of the pathway, looking down into the lava. He slowly turns, then sees her.

"I'm here, Esmeralda!" He calls, with a strong voice.

"Destroy it!" She yells.

Frodo looks away, then holds the Ring out in front of him on its chain, watching it.

"Go on!" Esmeralda yells. "Now! Throw it in the fire!"

Frodo continues to struggle with himself. He stares at the Ring, then down into the lava, gasping and hesitating.

"What are ya waitin' for?!" Esmeralda screams. "Let it go!"

The Ring starts speaking to Frodo. He lifts up the chain, so the Ring sways back and forth in front of his eyes. His expression changes into anger, and he grips the chain tighter. Slowly, he turns around to Esmeralda, holding a hateful glare.

"The Ring is mine."

Frodo pulls it off of the chain, and Esmeralda steps forward.

"No." She whispers.

He slips it on his finger, and disappears.

"NOOOO!" She screams, frantically looking around.

The Eye of Sauron moves instantly to Mount Doom, aware of him. The Ringwraiths turn away from the battle and speed towards the mountain.

Suddenly, Gollum appears behind Esmeralda. He hits her head with a rock, and she falls. Gollum sees Frodo's footsteps, then drops the rock and jumps onto his invisible shoulders. Frodo cries out, and tries to shake Gollum off. Esmeralda tries to get up, but she can't. Then, Gollum puts something up to his mouth, and gnaws it off. Suddenly, Esmeralda can see Frodo, screaming in pain, and falling to his knees. Blood trickles down his arm, and he falls onto his side, where Esmeralda can see that his finger is missing. She gasps in shock, but still couldn't find her strength to get up. Gollum pulls Frodo's finger out of the Ring, then holds it above his head, and stares at it in wonder. Mesmerized by it, he staggers close to the edge, and gives a huge smile.