Chapter Twenty Three

~ Chapter Twenty Three: The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"To the bridge of Kazhad-Dûm."

The Fellowship run out of the tomb area, as Orcs swarm behind them. They glance around themselves to see thousands of Orcs climbing out of the cracks in the floor, out of the roof, and down the great columns. Eventually, the Fellowship is forced to stop, as the Orcs surround them.

Suddenly, everyone hears a great roar, and the Orcs stand still, looking scared. Another roar is heard, before the Orcs screech and run away. Gimli grins, before they notice a red light. The light grows nearer, as Boromir knits his eyebrows together.

"What is this new devilment?"

Gandalf closes his eyes, dreading to tell what is there. When he opens them, the red light is flooding through the room.

"A Balrog, a demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run!"

They run as fast as they can, leaving the cavern of columns. Boromir runs ahead down some strips, but suddenly find that they end above a great chasm. He teeters on the edge, before Legolas runs up from behind and pulls him down. Gandalf is the last to run in, as Aragorn looks at him worriedly.

"Gandalf!"

"Lead them on, Aragorn. The bridge is near!"

The narrow bridge gaps the two sides of the great chasm. A roar is heard behind them as the red glow draws closer.

"Do as I say!" Gandalf says, pushing Aragorn away. "Swords are of no more use here."

They turn to the right, and run down the steps in front of them. After going for a minute, they reach a gap in the staircase. Legolas nimbly jumps over the gap, then looks at everyone expectantly. They hear a roar, as the ceiling begins to crumble.

"Gandalf!" Legolas beckoned.

The Wizard jumps the distance, as an arrow was shot, barely missing Boromir and the Hobbits. Legolas shoots his bow toward that direction, and shoots the Orc in its forehead.

"Merry! Pippin!" Boromir warned, as he took both of them under his arms, and jumps. As he does so, the chunk of the staircase falls.

Aragorn picks up Sam, and flings him across to Boromir. He turns to Gimli, who holds up his hand.

"Nobody tosses a Dwarf!"

Gimli jumps across, barely standing on the edge, as he's left balancing for his life. Legolas grabs his long, red beard, to keep him from falling.

"Not the beard!"

Aragorn fires an arrow at the Orcs, as Legolas pulls Gimli to safety. Suddenly, more of the steps fall away. Aragorn throws Frodo and Esmeralda further up, to keep from falling. The gap is now too wide to jump across. Everyone looks worried, as Frodo and Esmeralda hold on to each other for dear life. Aragorn stands up, and puts his strong hands on their backs.

"Steady! Hold on!"

The doorway entrance behind them glows red. A great roar comes from behind, as a chunk of rock falls from the roof. The rock falls into the staircase behind Frodo, Esmeralda and Aragorn, creating another gap. The three are now isolated on it, before it begins to sway.

Aragorn grabs onto the two Hobbits' clothes from behind, keeping them from falling.

"Hang on!"