Chapter Eighteen

~ Chapter Eighteen: The Fellowship of the Ring ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Strangers from distant lands; friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it; you will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom."

Elrond looked at Frodo.

"Bring forth the Ring, Frodo."

Frodo stands up, then walked in the middle of a large circle of chairs, seated by various Elves, Dwarves and Men. He places the Ring on a large stone plinth, as Boromir puts his hand over his mouth.

"So it is true."

Frodo silently walks back to his seat next to Gandalf, then closes his eyes and gives a sigh. A blond haired Elf and a red haired Dwarf named Legolas and Gimli, both eye the Ring carefully, as if it was calling to them. Suddenly, Boromir stands up.

"In a dream, I saw the Eastern Sky grow dark." He says, walking towards the plinth. "In the west, a pale light lingered. A voice was crying, 'your doom is near at hand'. Isildur's bane is found."

Elrond looks at Gandalf worriedly, as Boromir reaches his hand out to the Ring.

"Isildur's bane..."

Suddenly, Elrond jumps out of his chair. "Boromir!"

The sky darkens, as Gandalf is brought to his feet. "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,"

Gimli gives a cry, and Boromir stumbles back.

"Ash nazg thrakarulûk,"

Elrond holds his head in pain, and Legolas closes his eyes, grimacing.

"Agh burzum-ishikrimpatul."

Frodo stares at the Ring, almost as if it was talking to him, as Boromir sits back down, and the sun reappears.

"Never before has anyone uttered words from that tongue in Imladris."

"I do not ask your pardon Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West." Gandalf turns to look around at everyone. "The Ring is altogether evil."

Boromir shakes his head in disagreement.

"Aye, it's a gift! A gift to the foes of Mordor." He stands up, then walks around gesturing to everyone. "Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people, are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy, let us use it against him!"

"You cannot weld it." Says Aragorn, making Boromir spin around to face him. "None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone; it has no other master."

"And what would a ranger know of this matter?" Boromir says, scathingly.

Suddenly, Legolas stands up. "This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your allegiance."

Boromir looks up at Aragorn in shock, as Frodo looks at him in awe.

"Aragorn! This... Is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor." Legolas finishes.

Frodo tries to take in all this information, as Aragorn puts his hand up.

"Havo dad, Legolas."

Legolas sits back down, as Boromir turns to him.

"Gondor has no king." Boromir walks back to his seat, then stares at Aragorn disdainfully. "Gondor needs no king."