Chapter Thirty Seven

~ Chapter Thirty Seven: Battle ~

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

               The women and children are being taken into the caves, at the back of Helm's Deep.

"Move back! Move to the caves!"

One soldier yells.

"Come on, people! Quickly, now!"

Aragorn and Legolas follow alongside them.

"We'll place the reserves along the wall." Aragorn says. "They can support the archers from above the gate."

"Aragorn, you must rest." Legolas says softly. "You're no use to us half alive."

"Aragorn!" Éowyn yells, running over to him. "I'm to be sent with the women into the caves."

"That is an honorable charge." He replies.

"To mind the children, to find food and bedding when the men return. What renown is there in that?"

"My lady, a time may come for valor without renown. Who then will your people look to in the last defense?"

"Let me stand at your side."

"lt is not in my power to command it." He turns to walk away.

"You do not command the others to stay!"

Aragorn turns back.

"They fight beside you because they would not be parted from you." She says. "Because they love you."

They look meaningfully at each other, but Aragorn stays silent.

"I'm sorry." Éowyn says, as she turns to walk away.

The people in the caves wander around, finding a place to settle down. Sadly, there are tearful farewells for them. The men and boys are led away by the soldiers to fight, as the women cry and comfort each other. In the armory, weapons are being handed out. Aragorn takes hold of a sword and puts it down again. He walks through the men towards Gimli, who is sitting down.

"Farmers, farriers, stable boys." Aragorn says. "These are no soldiers."

"Most have seen too many winters." Gimli grunts.

"Or too few." Legolas finishes, sadly.

They look around at the men and boys, as they prepare for battle.

"Look at them." Legolas says. "They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes."

Everyone stops and turns to look at him, Aragorn included.

"Boe a hyn, neled herain dan caer menig!"

"Si beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras." Aragorn says.

"Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir... ortheri. Natha daged dhaer!"

A flash of anger fills Aragorn's face, as he raises his voice.

"Then I shall die as one of them!"

He glares at Legolas who glares back, and then walks off. Legolas goes to follow him, until Gimli grabs his arm.

"Let him go, lad. Let him be."

              Inside the Great Hall, Gamling is helping Théoden to put on his armor.

"Every villager able to wield a sword has been sent to the armory." He says. "My lord?"

"Who am l, Gamling?"