Chapter Sixty

~ Chapter Sixty: The Important Question ~

••••••••••••••••

*Two Months Later*

Frodo stood in front of the mirror, breathing heavily. He closed his eyes, as he took deep breaths. Then, after getting his breathing under control, he looked up. He straightened his waist-coat, and ran his hand through his hair. He sighed, before walking to his dresser, and grabbing a small, blue box. He put it in his pocket, and took a beep breath before walking out of his room, and out of Bag End.

He slowly walked to Esmeralda's house, trying to get his courage up. After a few minutes, he made it. He knocked on the door, and a few moments later, it opened. Esmeralda was standing there, wearing a simple, cream colored dress, and the necklace Frodo made for her all those years ago. When her eyes met his, she smiled.

"Hello, Frodo."

He smiled back, and leaned in to kiss her on the lips. "Hello, Esmeralda. I was wondering if you wanted to visit our tree today?"

She kissed him again. "I would love to. It seems like forever since we've been there!"

Frodo smiled sadly. "It does." He looked up into her eyes again. "Do you want to change, or are you fine wearing that?"

She shrugged. "Well, I guess I'd better change. I don't want to get my dress dirty."

He nodded, and she grabbed his hand.

"Come on in, ya can wait in the livin' room."

"Alright." He said.

They walked in the house together, instantly hit by the smell of beautiful flowers, and the sight of elegant paintings and decor. Frodo sat on the expensive couch, as she smiled at him.

"I'll be out in a minute."

He smiled back. "Alright."

He watched as she swiftly turned, and walked away. When she left the room, Frodo used his left hand to try and grab the box in his pocket. He struggled, then remembered the absence of his pointer finger. He pulled his hand back up, and stared at the nub where his finger used to be. He sighed, before using his right hand to grab it. He opened it, looking at a beautiful, silver ring. It had simple, but elegant crystals in the middle, that held a light purple color. He smiled, before placing it back in the box, and in his pocket. Normally, the sight of rings made him feel uneasy, but not this one. He knew that ring was special, and it was perfect for that special person.

A few moment later, Esmeralda walked out. She was wearing a pair of her leather pants, and one of Frodo's old shirts, with a vest and a coat over it. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun, with strands of hair framing her slim face.

"I'm ready!" She says.

Frodo smiled, then stood. "Let's go, Milady."

She giggled, then linked her arm with his. They walked out of the house, and they began to walk out of town. They got nasty stares from some of the townsfolk, but they just smiled back at them. Thirty minutes later, they finally made it to their tree.

Esmeralda smiled, and let his arm go. "It's so beautiful." She looked around. "I missed this place."

She looked back at him, and ran up to the tree. "Come on, Frodo!"

She began to climb, followed by Frodo. Ten minutes later, they made it to the top. They sat next to each other, as she rested her head on his shoulder. They stared at the beautiful autumn weather, with the orange, red and yellow leaves, and the slight breeze.

"Do ya remember the first time we climbed this tree?" Esmeralda asks.

Frodo laughed. "That was a long time ago. You've changed so much."

She smiled, before it slowly fell into a slight frown. "So have you."

Frodo looked at her, and she smiled again and kissed his cheek.

"I miss the old days." She whispered.

"As do I, but these new days are here for a reason, so we just have to get through them as best as we can."

She nodded, before grabbing his left hand. He jerked it away, and she looked at him in confusion.

"Frodo? What is it?"

"I'm sorry, I just feel shame for my missing finger. It's disgusting."

She frowned, and lifted her hand to his face. She tilted it towards her, and looked into his eyes.

"Frodo, I don't think it's disgustin'. It's part of who ya are now, and that could never be revoltin' to me."

She grabbed his hand again, and he sighed, before kissing her temple. They stayed in that position for a while, before Frodo slowly pulled away.

"Esmeralda." He said, nervously.

She worriedly looked into his eyes. "Yes?"

He took her hand, and held it tightly. "I have something to ask."

She nodded. "Alright."

He sighed, and bit his lip. "You are my everything, Esmeralda. Ever since I first saw you, I knew you were going to be special to me." He took a deep breath, as she looked at him in awe. "I couldn't imagine my life without you, or someone else. So, I have to ask you this."

He let her hand go, as realization spread across her face. She covered her mouth, as Frodo pulled out a small blue box. He opened it, to reveal a gorgeous ring.

"Esmeralda West, will you do the pleasure of marrying me?"

Tears slipped from her eyes, and Frodo smiled nervously, waiting for an answer. After a moment, she nodded her head.

"Yes!" She sobbed, before embracing him.

He smiled, and tightly hugged her. She cried into his shoulder, before pulling away, and wiping her eyes. He grabbed her left hand, and slid the ring on her finger. She smiled at her hand, before looking back up. She kissed him, and he held her tightly.

"I love you." He mumbled in her ear.

"I love ya too, Frodo." She whispered.

Later, Esmeralda and Frodo were laying on Frodo's large couch. He played with her hair, and her head rested on his chest.

"Esmeralda?"

"Hmm?"

"Why... did you say yes?"

She sat up, and looked at him. "What do ya mean? I said yes because I love you."

He sat up with her, then looked to the ground. "But why do you love me? I'm different then I used to be. I have hideous scars, and I'm even missing a finger. I don't have as much energy as I used to, and I don't surprise you with things, like the old Frodo."

Esmeralda grabbed his face. "I don't care about that. I mean, why should I? You love me, even though I also have horrible scars too." She looked into his eyes, then kissed him. "I said yes, because ya saved me."

He looked at her in curiosity. "I saved you?"

She nodded. "You saved me. When I moved here, I wanted nothin' more then to die. I wanted to be free at last. But then, you came around. You started spendin' time with me, and I felt like I existed, for the first time. Then, I became friends with Merry, Pippin, Sam, Rosie... You and them made me feel so happy, and I felt like I had somethin' to live for."

Frodo hugged her, and she closed her eyes and smiled. "Thank you, Frodo."

He nodded, and they stayed in that embrace for a long time.