Chapter Twenty Two

~ Chapter Twenty Two: Orc Battle ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Fellowship walked for two hours. Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin are all huddled together, as they follow Gandalf through the dark. Esmeralda is still out cold in Aragorn's arm, but he didn't mind, she weighed less then forty pounds. Suddenly, she began to stir, then opened her eyes. She looked around in fear, then up at Aragorn.

"Hello, Esmeralda. You've been asleep for a couple of hours now. You should learn to tell people when you're tired." Aragorn said, softly.

"Where am I? Strider, put me down."

Aragorn walked over to the Hobbits, and gently put her down.

"Are you feeling better now?" Frodo asked.

"I think so." She responded, confused.

Frodo placed his hand on her forehead, then looked up at Gandalf.

"She's still burning up."

"I'll be alright." She said, as she tried to start walking along with everyone.

She took a step, then quickly stumbled from dizziness. Frodo caught her before she hit the ground, then swung her arm around his shoulder for support.

"Frodo, I can walk."

"Sam, come and help me." Frodo says, ignoring her.

Sam walked over, and swung her other arm around his shoulder.

"Guys, this is completely unnecessary."

"You're sick, Esmeralda. You can't go overexerting yourself like this." Frodo said.

"Mister Frodo is right. You haven't had a good nights sleep in a while." Sam says, before digs into his knapsack. "Here, take this. I haven't seen you eat in a while either." He held out a few chunks of bread and an apple that was wrapped in a bag to her.

"Well that's nice Sam, but in case ya haven't noticed, I'm too busy being dragged to grab anythin'."

Sam quickly stuffed the bag in her coat pocket, then looked at her in the eyes.

"When we stop, you will eat that."

She rolled her eyes, then gave a sigh and a faint smile.

"Thank you, Sam."

Normally she would turn down the food, but she was starving.

Legolas looked back worriedly at her, until Gimli suddenly spots a room in front of them and runs towards it.

"Oh!"

"Gimli!" Gandalf yells.

Gimli kneels in front of a tomb, and bows his head. "No, no."

The rest of the Fellowship follow him in. Gandalf walks up to the tomb and reads the Dwarven runes written on it.

"Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria." Gandalf reads, removing his hat. "He is dead then. Its as I feared."

Gimli cries, as Gandalf notices a skeleton next to the tomb holding a large book. He passes his hat and staff to Pippin, and picks up the book. He blows off dust, and when he opens it, pages fall out.

Frodo and Sam set Esmeralda down on a broken pillar, before Sam nods his head and leaves, giving them some alone time. He sits on the pillar next to her, before she grabbed his arm gently and smiled at him.