Chapter Seventeen

~ Chapter Seventeen: Secrets Revealed ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Two days later, Aragorn sits quietly reading a book, in a building surrounded by paintings and sculptures. Hearing footsteps, he looks up. A tall man named Boromir walks into the room, then up to a statue, which holds Isildur's broken sword. He looks up in awe, then suddenly turns in Aragorn's direction when he hears a faint noise. Boromir looks at him quizzically, before stating,

"You are no Elf."

"Men of the South are welcome here."

Boromir nods. "Who are you?"

"I am a friend of Gandalf the Grey."

"Then we are here on common purpose... friend."

Aragorn silently stares back at Boromir, leaving him slightly confused. He turns back to the statue, then slowly picks up the hilt of the broken sword.

"The shards of Narsil; the blade that cut the Ring from Sauron's hand." He runs his finger along the tip of the sword, and is cut, causing it to bleed. "Ah! It's still sharp..." He exclaims in wonder.

Boromir looks back at Aragorn, who is still staring at him.

"... but no more then a broken heirloom."

He drops the sword, then quickly walks off.

Aragorn sighs, then walks over to the fallen sword. He gently picks it up, and places it back on the plinth with respect. Suddenly, Arwen walks up from behind him.

"Why do you fear the past? You are Isildur's heir, not Isildur himself. You are not bound to his fate."

"The same blood flows through my veins." Aragorn turns around to face her. "The same weakness."

"Your time will come. You will face the same evil, and you will defeat it. The Shadow does now sway yet, Aragorn. Not over you, and not over me."

            Later, Arwen and Aragorn stand on a bridge, hidden away in Rivendell.

"Renech i lu i erui govannen?"

"Nauthannem i ned ol reniannen."

Arwen reached up, and began to stroke his face. "Gwenwin in enninath. U-arnech in naeth i si celich. Renech i beth i pennen?"

Aragorn sighs, then runs his fingers over the Evanstar hanging from her neck.

"You said you would bind yourself to me, forsaking the immortal life of your people."

"And to that I hold. I would rather share one lifetime with you then to face all the ages of this world alone."

Arwen closes Aragorn's hand over something. He looks down, to see the Evanstar in his strong hand.

 He looks down, to see the Evanstar in his strong hand