Chapter Sixty Three

~ Chapter Sixty Three: The Announcement ~

•••••••••••••••••••

One year later...

After being closely examined by a doctor, Esmeralda sat with a worried look on her face.

"So what's wrong?" She asked. "Will I be alright? My husband has been awfully worried."

The doctor's face fought off a sour look, and forced a smile. She took Esmeralda's hands in hers, as she looked up at her.

"My dear, this is nothing that nine months cannot fix."

"What do you mean?" Esmeralda spoke, with a confused tone.

The woman let go of her hands, and looked down in shame. "So young. Only twenty one years."

Esmeralda's eyes grew in shock. "I'm going to die?"

The woman looked back up. "No, my dear. You are going to have a child."

Esmeralda felt like her heart stopped. A million thoughts raced through her mind. "I'm pregnant? What is Frodo going to say? I'm not even an adult yet! Will the baby be alright?"

Esmeralda was snapped back into reality as she felt a tear roll down her cheek.

"Dearie? Are you alright?"

Esmeralda quickly wiped her cheek, then looked at her straight in the eyes. "Will the baby be alright?" She managed to choke out.

"Well, yes. Although you are young, your body is fully grown, and ready for childbirth. Just stay active, eat enough, and get plenty of rest."

Esmeralda silently nodded, before sliding off the table. She walked to the door, then said, "Thank you, ma'am."

On the way home to Bag End, Esmeralda held her arms, while shaking. The color left her face, and she felt weaker then when she did that morning. When she got home, she quickly had to run to the back of the house, to throw up. After that, she walked inside, then went to the bathroom to brush her teeth. Frodo wasn't home, because he went to help Sam rearrange furniture.

When she walked back out, she felt her stomach growl. She sighed, then went to the kitchen to make tea and scones. She nervously nibbled and sipped her snack, awaiting for her husband to return. The Shire already wasn't happy with the marriage of the two. They thought they were too young. She could only imagine the things they would say once they found out.

The stillness of Bag End was suddenly interrupted by the sound of the door opening.

"Esmeralda? Are you home?"

She nearly choked on her tea before saying, "Yes, Frodo!"

She could almost hear him smile, as she stood up and walked towards him. She noticed that she was still shaking, and the color still wasn't back in her face. When she finally came into his view, he was throwing his coat on the couch. He looked up and smiled, which quickly fell into a worried frown.

"Esmeralda? Are you alright?" He walked up to her, and cupped her face in his hands. "You're so cold. Here, sit down." He grabbed her arm to steady her, as they both sat on the couch. "What's wrong? How was your appointment? Did something bad happen?"