Chapter Two

~ Chapter Two: Tea Time and Tree Climbing ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Five days later, Bilbo is scurrying around Bag End, making sure everything is perfect. He dusts the fireplace, rearranges the forks and spoons, and ties the curtains up.

Frodo walks out of his room, wearing a dark blue button-up shirt, suspenders, and pants. He sees his uncle running around, and laughs.

"Bilbo, it's just tea. Why so formal?"

"I know, Frodo, I just like to make a good first impression. By the way, I ran into Tom today, and he's bringing Esmeralda along too."

Frodo's eyes grew big, and he ran a hand through his curly, dark hair. "He is?"

Bilbo waved him off, and continued to dust. "Yes, so I expect you to make conversation. Not stare a hole through the poor girl like you did last time."

Frodo's cheeks flushed. "Alright, Uncle."

A few minutes later, a loud knock flooded the ears of the two Hobbits.

"Frodo, get the door!" Bilbo calls, busy taking the kettle off the stove.

Frodo opens the door, to reveal a jolly Tom Bambadil, and a somber looking Esmeralda holding a plate of muffins.

"Come in!" Frodo says, opening the door for them. "Bilbo is in the kitchen, it's down the hall, and to the left."

Tom smiles, takes Esmeralda's plate of muffins, then heads in that direction.

Frodo looks at Esmeralda, then asks, "May I take your coat?"

She looks up into his eyes, studying his intentions. After a moment, she gives a nod. "Alright."

She turns around, and lets him gently remove her garment. He hangs it on the coat hanger, then looks back at her. Now without her coat, he sees that she is wearing a simple green dress, that reaches down to her furry feet.

"Let's go."

She nods, then follows him to the kitchen.

"Ooh, what are those, Tom?" They hear Bilbo ask, before walking into the room.

"These are blueberry muffins that Esmeralda baked. She is quite the cook!" Tom replies, before looking across the room. "Ah, there you are my dear. Come, sit!"

She quietly sits down, and Frodo sits between her and his uncle. Bilbo pours tea into everyone's mugs, and leaves little sponge cakes and muffins out for anyone who wants it. Esmeralda grabs her mug to warm her hands, as Bilbo and Tom engage in conversation.

"So, have you looked around the Shire yet?" Frodo asks, sipping his drink.

She shakes her head. "No, besides a trip to the market, I've been too busy unpackin'. We finished this mornin' though."

"Maybe I can show you around sometime, and introduce you to my friends."

She nodded. "Alright."

Frodo smiled, then went back to drinking his tea.

Later, Bilbo and Tom stood up, ready to go outside for a few smokes.