Chapter Thirty Three

~ Chapter Thirty Three: Relationship Problems ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

           Grima rides up to Orthanc on a horse.

"Gandalf the White." Saruman scoffs. "Gandalf the Fool! Does he seek to humble me with his newfound piety?"

"There were three who followed the Wizard." Grima says. "An Elf, a Dwarf and a Man."

"You stink of horse. The Man... was he from Gondor?"

"No, from the North. One of the Dunedain Rangers, I thought he was. His cloth was poor. And yet he bore a strange ring. Two serpents with emerald eyes... One devouring, the other crowned with golden flowers."

Saruman flicks through pages in a book, and taps his finger on one page.

"The Ring of Barahir. So Gandalf Greyhame thinks he has found lsildur's heir. The lost king of Gondor. He is a fool. The line was broken years ago." He slams the book shut. "It matters not. The world of Men shall fall. It will begin at Edoras."

The people of Edoras are leaving the city. In the Golden Hall, Théoden puts on his gloves.

"I am ready, Gamling. Bring my horse."

Gamling nods and walks away. Suddenly, Théoden speaks to him.

"This is not a defeat. We will return.

Gamling nods and walks out.

"We will return."

             The people of Edoras carry away chests from the Golden Hall. Éowyn opens up a chest, lifts out a sword and unsheathes it. She holds it up and runs her hand down the blade. She practices swinging with it, and as she turns around, her sword meets Aragorn's knife. A startled expression fills her face, as she stares at Aragorn.

"You have some skill with a blade." He says, softly.

She swings her sword round swiftly, releasing it from Aragorn's knife. Then, she sheaths it and puts it away.

"Women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain."

"What do you fear, my lady?"

"A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them. And all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire."

"You're a daughter of kings, a shieldmaiden of Rohan

"You're a daughter of kings, a shieldmaiden of Rohan. I do not think that would be your fate."

Aragorn turns and walks away.